A regatta is a term used to describe either a boat race, or series of boat races.
Although the term typically describes racing events of unpowered watercraft, some powerboat race series are also called regattas. Most commonly, a regatta is either a series of rowing, sailing or yacht racing.
Although regattas are typically amateur competitions, they are usually very highly organized, formally structured events, with complex rules precisely describing the schedule and procedures of the event.
Rowing regattas[change | change source]
- Henley Royal Regatta, held every year on the river Thames is the most prestigious British event
- The Boat Race is a rowing race between the Oxford University Boat Club and the Cambridge University Boat Club. It is rowed annually each Spring on the Thames in London.
- Dad Vail Regatta, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Head of the Charles Regatta, on the Charles River between Boston and Cambridge, Massachusetts
Sailing regattas[change | change source]
- America's Cup, hosted by prior winner
- Balmain Regatta held annually on Sydney Harbour, Australia
- Bass Week, Bassenthwaite Lake, Cumbria
- Bay Week, Put-in-Bay, Ohio
- Block Island Race Week, Storm Trysail Club Rhode Island
- CORK Regatta, Kingston, Ontario, annually in August.
- Cowes Week, Royal Yacht Squadron, England
- Fowey Royal Regatta, Fowey Cornwall annually in August  Archived 2007-08-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Kamer 2 Sailing Marathon, Kaag, Netherlands, annually in September
- Key West Race Week, Key West, Florida
- Larchmont Race Week, Larchmont Yacht Club, New York
- Long Beach Race Week, Long Beach, California
- National Offshore One Design (NOOD)
- Round Texel, Texel, Netherlands, annually in June
- Lysekil Women's Match, Lysekil, Sweden, annually in August
- Tjörn Runt, Tjörn, Sweden, annually in August
- Washington's Birthday Regatta, Coconut Grove, Florida, annually in February
- Youngstown Levels, Youngstown, New York
- Figawi Race, Hyannis, MA
College Sailing Regattas[change | change source]
- Charleston Open, College of Charleston
- Kennedy Cup, US Naval Academy
- The Roth Regatta, Roth Pond, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- Intercollegiate Sailing Association National Championships, various locations
High school sailing regattas[change | change source]
- Mallory Cup, United States high school sailing national championships.
- The National School Sailing Assosiation Regatta, UK. Annual Sailing reggatta held in various sailing clubs and competed in by many secondary school students.
Other regattas[change | change source]
- The Madison Regatta, Madison, Indiana. (hydroplanes)
- Kingston Multi-Hull Regatta, Kingston, Ontario (multihull sailboats and sailing hydrofoils)
- Henley-on-Todd Regatta - an Australian dry-land event.
- Royal Hobart Regatta - A Multiple event 3 day Reggatta in Tasmania, Australia.
- Sy Barash Regatta - discontinued event at Penn State
- Worrell 1000, between South Beach and Virginia Beach, Virginia
- For the Cruise Ship Regatta see Oceania Cruises
Other websites[change | change source]
- How to Start Racing a Boat
- The photos and videos of Borneo regatta
- Watski Skagerrak TwoStar, online yacht race in Norway, Denmark and Sweden Archived 2008-11-22 at the Wayback Machine
- Aegean Regatta Photos Archived 2007-10-09 at the Wayback Machine
- International Sailing Federation, the international governing body of sailboat racing
- US Sailing's official homepage
- Sailing Anarchy, a very popular international sailing site