The Legend of Zelda (series)
The Legend of Zelda is a very popular series of video games. The main character is a young boy called Link who usually has to rescue Princess Zelda from a bad guy called Ganon. Link is always the good guy. The series was made by Shigeru Miyamoto and was first sold February 21, 1986 by Nintendo. The game happens in the fictional country of Hyrule. Hyrule has many different places, people and creatures in it. The gameplay is a mix of action, adventure (or finding things), role-playing, puzzle-solving, and sometimes jumping and racing parts. The Legend of Zelda series has sold 50 million games, with 13 different games in the series during 2007, making it the 6th best-selling video game series ever.
Main characters[change | edit source]
- Link - The hero who always saves the day.
- Zelda - A princess who gets kidnapped sometimes and is important to the plot.
- Ganon or Ganondorf - A villian who tries to conquer the land
Games[change | edit source]
Right now there are 16 games in the main series.
- The Legend of Zelda (1987/NES)
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (1989/NES)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1992/SNES)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993/GB)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998/N64)
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (2000/GBC)
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (2000/GBC)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000/N64)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords (2001/GBA)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003/GCN)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (2004/GBA)
- The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (2005/GCN)
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006/GCN/Wii)
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (2007/NDS)
- The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (2009/NDS)
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011/Wii)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013/3DS)
Universe[change | edit source]
Hyrule[change | edit source]
Hyrule is a fictional world in The Legend of Zelda series. It is inhabited by many races, including Hylians, Gorons, Zoras, and others.
- Death Mountain is a large mountain that Gorons live on. Ganon has also had his lair on Death Mountain multiple times.
- Gerudo Desert is a desert that Ganondorf was born in. Only once every 100 years is a man born, so almost every Gerudo is a woman.
- Hyrule Castle is the home of the Royal Family, which includes Princess Zelda. It's often the target of Ganon.
- Kakariko Village is a village made in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past that appears in many other games after.
- Lake Hylia is a lake in many of the games. It's often the way to Zora's Domain, the lair of the Zora species.
- The Lost Woods is a forest in many of the games in the series that is easy to get lost in. The Master Sword rests here in A Link to the Past, and Link's home, Kokiri Forest, is right next to the Lost Woods in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Great Sea[change | edit source]
Long after the Link from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time disappeared, Ganon returned, and when Link did not come to save them, they asked the Goddesses to flood Hyrule. Hyrule was flooded, and many people died because of it. Hyrule was lost under the sea, and people lived on islands that are scattered around the Great Sea. The events of The Wind Waker take place many years after. At the end of The Wind Waker, Link and Tetra search for a new land.
Termina[change | edit source]
Termina is a land only in Majora's Mask that Link finds in the Lost Woods that he has to save before the moon crashes into it. It's an alternate land to Hyrule, and has many places and people that look or act like people from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The people who live in Termina are sometimes referred to as Terminans, or Terminan Hylians.
Master Sword[change | edit source]
Known as the Sword of Evil's Bane, the Master Sword is to only be held by a person destined to be the Hero of Time. Link in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is supposedly the first holder of the Master Sword. The other incarnations of Link are then given the right to wield the Master Sword due to those incarnations being in the bloodline of the Knights of Legend.
Triforce[change | edit source]
The Triforce is a mystic object in The Legend of Zelda universe. It has three parts - the first part is the Triforce of Courage, which Link has, the second is the Triforce of Wisdom, which Princess Zelda has, and the third is the Triforce of Power, which Ganon has. When it's completed, the person who gets it can make a wish. People have speculated that in Majora's Mask, since the Fierce Deity came into existence, that the Triforce is actually the Tetraforce. The prefix Tetra- comes from 4. The Fierce Deity acts as another god that plays a major role in destroying the evil inside the Majora's Mask.
Other websites[change | edit source]
- Zeldapedia, a Zelda wiki hosted on Wikia
- Zelda Wiki, and independent wiki covering the Legend of Zelda series.