Wichita State University
Municipal University of Wichita
|Affiliation||Kansas Board of Regents|
|Endowment||$247.75 million (2017)|
|President||Andy Tompkins (interim)|
|Students||15,784 (fall 2018)|
|Campus||Urban, 330 acres (130 ha)|
|Colors||Black and Shocker Yellow|
|NCAA Division I – The American|
Wichita State University offers more than 60 undergraduate degree programs in more than 200 areas of study in six colleges. The Graduate School offers 44 master's degrees in more than 100 areas and a specialist in education degree. It offers doctoral degrees in applied mathematics; audiology; chemistry; communicative disorders and sciences; nursing practice; physical therapy; psychology (programs in human factors, community and APA-accredited clinical psychology); educational administration; aerospace, industrial and mechanical engineering; and electrical engineering and computer science.
Wichita State University also has classes at four other campuses. WSU West is in Maize. This 9-acre (3.6 ha) campus has 80–100 university classes each academic semester. WSU South began started Wichita State University courses at a new facility in Derby in January 2008. The WSU Downtown Center has the university's Center for Community Support & Research and the Department of Physical Therapy. A quarter-mile northeast of campus, the Advanced Education in General Dentistry buildinghass classrooms and a dental clinic. It was built in 2011. It is next to the university's 75,000-square-foot (7,000 m2) Eugene M. Hughes Metropolitan Complex, where many of WSU noncredit courses are taught.
History[change | change source]
Wichita State University started in 1886 as a private Congregational preparatory school. It was created by Rev. Joseph Homer Parker.
On July 1, 1964, the school officially entered the state system of higher education as Wichita State University (WSU).
References[change | change source]
- As of June 30, 2017. "U.S. and Canadian Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year (FY) 2017 Endowment Market Value and Change in Endowment Market Value from FY2016 to FY2017". Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- "Board of Regents Announce 2017 Fall Semester Enrollment" (PDF). September 28, 2017. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- "Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) details for Wichita State University". United States Geological Survey (USGS). Retrieved July 22, 2018.
- "Wichita State University Visual Identity Standards" (PDF). October 10, 2018. Retrieved November 1, 2018.
- "Wichita State University | Ranking & Review". 4icu.org. March 3, 2013. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "About WSU – Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas". Wichita.edu. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Office of the Provost – Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas". Wichita.edu. November 30, 2012. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Grand opening for WSU's dentistry building – Wichita State News". Wichita.edu. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Eugene M. Hughes Metropolitan Complex – Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas". Webs.wichita.edu. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "ABOUT WSU – Wichita State University". Webs.wichita.edu. October 3, 2011. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wichita State University.|