From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2013 2014 2015 – 2016 – 2017 2018 2019|
- April 4 – Square root day.
- May 9 – Transit of Mercury
- June 11 – July 3 – 2016 European Football Championship (Host scheduled to be picked in May 2010)
- June 29 – Analog shut-off in Brazil
- August 5 – 21 – 2016 Summer Olympics will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- November 8 – United States Presidential and Congressional elections.
- November 30 - The final episode of South Park will air.[source?]
- European Capital Of Culture 2016 – European Union choose two European cities, from Poland and from Spain to become the European Capitals Of Culture in this year.
- The right for the U.S. forces to use Diego Garcia in the Chagos Islands as a military base will end at this year, but there will be a provision for an automatic extension for another 20 years for the US forces to remain stationed on the island.
- Start of unmanned test flights of Altair for future U.S. lunar landings.
- ITER, an international scientific experiment (2nd largest worldwide ever) into developing nuclear fusion as an energy source will boot up for the first time.
- Files concerning Rudolf Hess made open to the public
- The Centralia, Pennsylvania time capsule will open
- NASA Juno, Jupiter orbiter
- The world's largest suspension bridge will be completed, connecting Sicily and main land Italy.
Computer and video games[change]
- Games set in 2016:
- Ghostbusters II (1989): According to a guest on Peter Venkman's talk show, the end of the world will occur on February 14.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995–1996): The controversial completion of the top-secret Human Instrumentality Project brings about the apocalyptic Third Impact, merging all human individuals into a single consummate being.
- In an episode of Phil of the Future, Phil states that chores were banned in the year 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: 2016|