|Federative Republic of Brazil
República Federativa do Brasil (Portuguese)
|Motto: "Ordem e Progresso"
"Order and Progress"
|Anthem: Hino Nacional Brasileiro
"Brazilian National Anthem"
Selo Nacional do Brasil
|Largest city||São Paulo|
|Ethnic groups (2010)||47.73% White
43.13% Brown (Multiracial)
|Government||Federal presidential constitutional republic|
|-||President||Dilma Rousseff (PT)|
|-||Vice President||Michel Temer (PMDB)|
|-||President of the Chamber of Deputies||Marco Maia (PT)|
|-||President of the Senate||José Sarney (PMDB)|
|-||Chief Justice||Cezar Peluso|
|-||Upper House||Federal Senate|
|-||Lower House||Chamber of Deputies|
|Independence||from United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves|
|-||Declared||7 September 1822|
|-||Recognized||29 August 1825|
|-||Republic||15 November 1889|
|-||Current constitution||5 October 1988|
|-||Total||8,514,877 km2 (5th)
3,287,597 sq mi
|-||2010 census||190,732,694 (5th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2010 estimate|
|GDP (nominal)||2010 estimate|
|Gini (2010)||▼53.6 (high)|
|HDI (2011)||0.718 (high) (84th)|
|Currency||Real (R$) (
|Time zone||BRT (UTC-2 to -4)|
|-||Summer (DST)||BRST (UTC-2 to -4)|
|Date formats||dd/mm/yyyy (CE)|
|Drives on the||right|
Brazil (officially called Federative Republic of Brazil) is a country in South America. It is the world's fifth largest country. The country has about 195 million people. The capital of Brazil is Brasília.
Brazil has the world's largest rainforest, the Amazon Rainforest. It makes up 40% of the country's land area. Brazil also has other types of land, including a type of savanna called cerrado, and a dry plant region named caatinga.
The most important cities are Brasília (the capital), Belém, Belo Horizonte, Curitiba, Florianópolis, Fortaleza, Goiânia, Manaus, Porto Alegre, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, São Paulo (the biggest city) and Vitória. Other cities are at List of largest cities in Brazil.
Brazil is divided into 26 states plus the Federal District in five regions (north, south, northeast, southeast and centre-west):
- North: Acre, Amazonas, Rondônia, Roraima, Pará, Amapá, Tocantins
- Northeast: Maranhão, Pernambuco, Ceará, Piauí, Rio Grande do Norte, Paraíba, Alagoas, Sergipe, Bahia
- Centre-West: Goiás, Mato grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul, Distrito Federal/ Federal District
- Southeast: São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Espírito Santo, Minas Gerais
- South: Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul
Brazil is the largest country in South America and the largest economy in Latin America. Its people include people of Portuguese or other European descent, African descent, and native Amerindians, as well as many people of mixed origins. Brazil also has the biggest number of Japanese descendents outside Japan.
People from Brazil are called Brazilians (brasileiros in Brazilian Portuguese language).
Related pages [change]
- "Demographics". Brazilian Government. 2011. http://www.brasil.gov.br/sobre/brazil/brazil-in-numbers/demographics. Retrieved 2011-10-08. (English)
- Caracteristicas da População e dos Domicílios do Censo Demográfico 2010 — Cor ou raça
- IBGE. Censo 2010: população do Brasil é de 190.732.694 pessoas.
- "Brazil". International Monetary Fund. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2011/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2008&ey=2011&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=223&s=NGDPD%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPGDP%2CPPPPC%2CLP&grp=0&a=&pr.x=25&pr.y=4. Retrieved 2011-04-21.
- Caracteristicas da População e dos Domicílios do Censo Demográfico 2010 — Rendimento
- UNDP Human Development Report 2011. "Table 1: Human development index 2011 and its components" (PDF). UNDP. http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2011_EN_Table1.pdf. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
- "Hora Legal Brasileira". Observatório Nacional. Archived from the original on 2011-07-22. http://web.archive.org/web/20110722173247/http://pcdsh01.on.br/Fusbr.htm. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- "WordNet Search - 3.0". wordnetweb.princeton.edu. 2011 [last update]. http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=brazilian. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Brazil|