Acid throwing or vitriolage is a form of violent assault. The attackers throw acid at their victims. Usually they throw it at their faces. They want to damage skin tissue, even to expose and to dissolve the bones. The consequences of these attacks include blindness and permanent scars of the face and body.
In India, the number of acid attacks have been rising. There had been 68 acid attacks in Karnataka alone (of which Bangalore is the capital) since 1999. These are only the cases that have been reported. Unlike India, Bangladesh has introduced the death penalty for throwing acid and laws strictly controlling the sales of acids since 2002. An important role for the introduction of that legislation had the Acid Survivors Foundation.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Karmakar, R.N. (2003). Forensic Medicine and Toxicology. Academic Publishers. .
- Swanson, Jordan (Spring 2002), "Acid attacks: Bangladesh’s efforts to stop the violence.", Harvard Health Policy Review 3 (Spring 2002): 3, http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~epihc/currentissue/spring2002/swanson.php, retrieved 2008-06-18
- India's acid victims demand justice, BBC News, 9 April 2008
- Acid test for Indian society, The Guardian, July 29th 2008
- Roland Buerk (28 July 2006). "Bangladesh's acid attack problem". BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/south_asia/5133410.stm. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
Further reading[change | change source]
- Dasgupta, Shamita Das (2008), "Acid Attacks", in Renzetti, Claire M.; Edleson, Jeffrey L., Encyclopedia of Interpersonal Violence, 1 (1st ed.), Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, pp. 5–6,
Other websites[change | change source]
- Bangladesh: Acid Attacks in Bangladesh: A Voice for the Victims
- Cambodia: Living in the Shadows: Acid Attacks in Cambodia Report
- China: Hospital offers surgery to victim of acid attack
- South Asia: Acid attacks on the rise in South Asia
- Pakistan: A 16 year old boy was badly injured in an acid attack after he refused a Muslim cleric's sexual advances
- Thailand: 6 teens hurt in acid attack
- Iran: Woman blinded by acid wants same fate for attacker