|Designer(s)||Markus "Notch" Persson
Jens "Jeb" Bergensten
Markus "Junkboy" Toivonen
|Composer(s)||Daniel "C418" Rosenfeld|
|Version||1.6.2, testing version 1.6.2 Pre-release|
|Platform(s)||Computer (Java), as Browser Applet, iOS, Android, Xbox 360, Raspberry Pi.|
|Release date(s)||Classic: May 17, 2009
Indev: December 23, 2009
Infdev: February 27, 2010
Alpha: June 28, 2010
Beta: December 20, 2010
Official Release November 19, 2011
Minecraft is a 2011 video game. It was made by Markus Persson (nicknamed "Notch"). It is a sandbox game where the player can play a human made of cubes that can walk around and break the blocks which make up the landscape. The player can then put the blocks back together to make new constructions. The game costs US$26.95 or €19.95 or in pounds £17.95.
History[change | edit source]
Minecraft was created as an experiment to test random creation for caves. Minecraft was inspired by Infiniminer, a game created by other people. The first version of Minecraft was released on May 17, 2009. A a significant update known as "The Halloween Update" containing the Nether was released on October 31, 2010. The beta was released on December 20, 2010. The full game was released on November 18, 2011. At first, Minecraft was created only by Persson. Other people started to work on it when Persson started an independent video game company called Mojang. In 2012, Persson gave Jens Bergensten the job of being the main developer of Minecraft. In 2012, Minecraft came out on the Xbox 360 and was available for 1600 Microsoft Points ($19.99).
Gameplay[change | edit source]
Controls[change | edit source]
The player uses the W, A, S and D keyboard keys to move around by default, but the controls can be changed in the menu options. The spacebar is used to jump. The Computer mouse is used to look around, the Left mouse button is used to attack or break blocks, and the right mouse button will use an item or place blocks.
Game modes[change | edit source]
There are 4 main game modes in Minecraft.
- "Survival Mode" - The player must gather resources, kill monsters, mine minerals and make items such as tools, armor and weapons. The player must also gather food in order to survive starvation. If the player dies, they then are given the choice to re-spawn into the game and continue play (with an exception of dropping all the current items held in their inventory) or to return to the main menu of the game.
- "Hardcore Mode" - It is the same as "Survival Mode", but with two differences. If the player dies, the world they play in is deleted and they cannot play in that world again. Also, the game is locked on hard difficulty and cannot be changed without any help from a third party program.
- "Creative Mode" - The player gets an unlimited number of blocks, and tools. This mode was created to let the player build whatever constructions they wanted to. They do not need to deal with surviving in this mode.
- "Adventure Mode" - This mode is designed for community maps. The only way to access this mode is to enable cheats throughout the more world options, then changing the game mode by typing /gamemode 2 in the chat bar. The player can not place or break blocks, until the realise of versions higher than 1.3.2, where they player is able to break blocks when holding the matching tool in their player's hand, this feature is also introduced placing blocks in adventure mode.
In all modes, players can build things such as houses, pixel art and towers. There is also a multiplayer mode, where players can play together through the internet. This requires the player to enter a server address.
Mobs[change | edit source]
The term "Mob" is short for any monster, animal, or Non-Player-Characters. Some blow up, some shoot arrows and some just attack you with their lifeless limbs (arms and legs).
- Hostile: These will attack the player on sight. They include Zombies, Skeletons, Wither Skeletons, Spiders (only attack at night unless you hit them during the day), Slimes, Creepers, Ghasts, the very destructive Enderdragon, and the very powerful Wither.
- Passive: These are mostly animals such as Cows, Pigs, Chickens, Sheep, and Mooshrooms. They will run away when hit. They cannot hurt the player at all.
- Neutral: These will only attack the player if the player attacks them first. They may also attack under certain circumstances such as "only attack at night", "if the player attacks a member of their group", or "if the player looks them." They are Wolves, Zombie Pigmen, Endermen (also if the player puts the crosshair on them/looks at them) and Spiders (only neutral during the day).
- NPC (non-player character): This group so far only includes villagers. They are mobs that will not attack you in any way, and they will help you. The Iron Golem is not a NPC.
The Nether[change | edit source]
Players can build a portal out of dark obsidian blocks and go to a hellish realm called the Nether. In it, they can fight fire-ball-shooting Ghasts, avoid the Zombie Pigmen, attack Magma Cubes, duel Wither Skeletons, search for brewing ingredients, dodge the fiery Blaze, and try not to fall into the unforgiving oceans of lava.
The End[change | edit source]
If the player can find a Stronghold, they can find an End Portal which will teleport them to a deadly realm. If they can fend off Endermen and kill the Enderdragon, they will be shown the credits screen, which also shows a backstory. They can still play after defeating the dragon. After you kill the Enderdragon it drops a black egg which can't be moved easily.