|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1140s 1150s 1160s – 1170s – 1180s 1190s 1200s|
|Years:||1168 1169 1170 – 1171 – 1172 1173 1174|
Events[change | change source]
- Saladin bans the Fatimid Caliphate, bringing back Sunni rule in Egypt.
- Manuel I Comnenus orders all the Venetians in the Byzantine Empire to be arrested.
- Rhys ap Gruffydd agrees to talk to Henry II of England.
- Building of the Cathedral of Saint Sabino in Bari is finished.
- Serbian ruler Stefan Nemanja begins to rule alone.
- Alfonso II of Aragon beats Caspe and Teruel.
- Henry II of England starts eight centuries of conflict and war between Ireland and England.
- Pisa and Florence make an alliance against Lucca and Genoa.
- The Heirs of Robert Burdet leave Catalonia.
Births[change | change source]
- August 15 — King Alfonso IX of León (d. 1230)
- Agnes of France, daughter of Louis VII of France (d. after 1207)