|United States Senator|
|Assumed office |
April 9, 2018
Serving with Roger Wicker
|Appointed by||Phil Bryant|
|Preceded by||Thad Cochran|
|Mississippi Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce|
January 10, 2012 – April 1, 2018
|Preceded by||Lester Spell|
|Succeeded by||J. Andrew Gipson|
|Member of the Mississippi Senate|
from the 39th district
January 4, 2000 – January 10, 2012
|Preceded by||W. L. Rayborn|
|Succeeded by||Sally Doty|
|Born||May 10, 1959|
Brookhaven, Mississippi, U.S.
|Political party||Republican (2010–present)|
|Democratic (before 2010)|
|Education||Copiah-Lincoln Community College|
University of Southern Mississippi (BA)
Cindy Hyde-Smith (born May 10, 1959) is an American politician. She is the junior United States Senator from Mississippi since 2018. She served as the Mississippi Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce from 2012 to 2018.
Hyde-Smith is a member of the Republican Party. She is the first female Agriculture Commissioner and a former member of the Mississippi State Senate, serving for three terms, and holding the position of Senate Agriculture Committee chair for eight years.
Governor Phil Bryant announced on March 21, 2018 that he will appoint Hyde-Smith to the United States Senate seat that was vacated by Thad Cochran on April 1, 2018. She is the first female member of Congress from Mississippi.
On November 6, 2018, Hyde-Smith and Democrat Mike Espy advanced to a run-off election held on November 27, where she beat Espy in the election.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Gov. Phil Bryant to appoint Cindy Hyde-Smith to Senate seat, but some in GOP are worried".
- ↑ "Hyde-Smith elected Miss. agriculture commissioner". WLOX. Biloxi. AP.[permanent dead link]
- ↑ http://www.mdac.state.ms.us/agency/biography-cindy-hyde-smith-commissioner-of-agriculture.htm[permanent dead link]
- ↑ The Washington Post. "Miss. governor names Cindy Hyde-Smith to replace GOP Sen. Thad Cochran. She will be first female U.S. senator from state". Retrieved March 21, 2018.
- ↑ "Republican Cindy Hyde-Smith Wins Mississippi Senate Runoff". www.bloomberg.com.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Vote for Cindy Hyde-Smith for Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce – Official Campaign Website
- MDAC Commissioner Biography – Official Government Website
- Project Vote Smart – Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith (MS) profile
- Follow the Money – Cindy Hyde-Smith