J. D. Vance
J. D. Vance
|United States Senator|
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2023
Serving with Sherrod Brown
|Preceded by||Rob Portman|
James Donald Bowman
August 2, 1984
Middletown, Ohio, U.S.
Usha Chilukuri (m. 2014)
|Education||Ohio State University (BA)|
Yale University (JD)
|Known for||Commentary on rural sociology, poverty, Hillbilly culture|
|Branch/service||United States Marine Corps|
|Years of service||2003–2007|
|Unit||2nd Marine Aircraft Wing|
James David Vance (born James Donald Bowman; August 2, 1984) is an American Republican politician, conservative commentator, businessman, and author. Vance is the United States Senator from Ohio since 2023. He is best known for his memoir Hillbilly Elegy, which became popular during the 2016 election.
In January 2017, Vance became a CNN contributor.
In July 2021, Vance announced his candidacy for the United States Senate in the 2022 election to replace retiring U.S. Senator Rob Portman. In April 2022, former President Donald Trump announced his support for Vance. He won the Republican nomination in May 2022. In November 2022, he was elected U.S. Senator after defeating U.S. Representative Tim Ryan in the general election.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis". Enotes.com. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- ↑ Katz, A. J. (January 17, 2017). "CNN Strengthens its Roster of Commentators and Contributors". AdWeek. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- ↑ Arkin, James (July 1, 2021). "J.D. Vance joins already chaotic Ohio Senate primary". Politico.
- ↑ JILL, COLVIN; SMYTH, JULIE CARR. "Trump backs GOP's JD Vance in US Senate primary in Ohio". abcnews.go.com. ABC. Retrieved 17 April 2022.
- ↑ Linton, Caroline; Brewster, Adam; Navarro, Aaron. "Ohio primary results: Trump-backed J.D. Vance wins Republican Senate race". CBS News. Retrieved May 4, 2022.