Great Western Railway (train operating company)
|Main region(s)||London, Thames Valley, South West England, South Wales|
|Other region(s)||West Midlands, South East England|
|Fleet size||See "Rolling stock" section|
|Stations called at||over 270|
|Route km operated||2129.2|
|National Rail abbreviation||GW|
Great Western Railway, formerly known as First Great Western is a British train operating company owned by FirstGroup, which has services in the west and south west of England and South Wales. It also runs the Night Riviera overnight train between London and Penzance.
Near the end of January 2010, First Great Western said that an £8,000,000 refresh programme to their fleet of Class 166 Turbo DMU trains would happen.
History[change | change source]
The company began operating on 4 February 1996 as Great Western Trains, as part of the privatisation of British Rail, and in December 1998 became First Great Western after FirstGroup bought the company. On 1 April 2006, First Great Western Link and Wessex Trains were combined into First Great Western. On 20 September 2015, FirstGroup started to operate an extended franchise that is due to run until 30 March 2019. With the new franchise, the company rebranded as Great Western Railway and introduced a new livery.
Train services[change | change source]
Great Western Railway runs most of the passenger train services on the Great Western main line.
Rolling stock[change | change source]
- 119 Class 43 for 52 High Speed Train and 1 Castle sets
- 4 British Rail Class 57 diesel locomotives
- 8 British Rail Class 143 Pacer sets
- 19 British Rail Class 150 Sprinter sets
- 12 British Rail Class 153 Super-Sprinter sets
- 16 British Rail Class 158 Express Sprinter sets
- 36 British Rail Class 165 Network Turbo sets
- 21 British Rail Class 166 Network Express Turbo
- 45 British Rail Class 387 Electrostar sets
- 57 British Rail Class 800 "InterCity Express Trains" sets
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "First Great Western - Copyright". Retrieved 2006-07-15. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Buy Cheap Train Tickets - Great Western Railway - First Great Western". www.gwr.com.
- Companies House extract company no 5113733 First Greater Western Limited
Great Western Trains
| Operator of Great Western franchise
1998 – 2006
Great Western Railway
Greater Western franchise
First Great Western
Great Western franchise
| Operator of Greater Western franchise
2006 – present
First Great Western Link