|Units sold||Four million in first three days of initial sales (October 14–17, 2011)|
|Operating system||Original: iOS 5.0
Current: iOS 9.2, released December 10, 2015
|System-on-chip used||Dual-core Apple A5|
|CPU||800 MHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9|
|Memory||512 MB DDR2 RAM|
|Storage||8, 16, 32, or 64 GB (16, 32, and 64 GB discontinued 2013; 8 GB introduced 2013)|
|Display||3.5 in (89 mm) diagonal 3:2 aspect ratio widescreen
LED backlit IPS TFT LCD
960×640 resolution at 326 ppi (0.61 MP)
800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
500 cd/m2 max. brightness (typical)
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back glass
3.5 mm TRRS, 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response (internal, headset)
3.5mm audio jack
|Input||Multi-touch touchscreen display
Ambient light sensor
(800 850 900 1,800 1,900 MHz)
(800 850 900 1,900 2,100 MHz) (800 MHz unannounced)
Dual-band CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A (800 1,900 MHz)
GLONASS, Global Positioning System (GPS)
|Weight||140 g (4.9 oz)|
|Related articles||iPhone, iPad (3rd generation), iPod Touch|
It was first available for pre-order on October 7, and it went on sale on October 14 in the United States, Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Japan. It was made available in more countries over the next few months.
The iPhone 4S had the same design as the iPhone 4, but has several new features such as an upgrade to the Apple A5 processor, and an 8 MP camera with 1080p video recording. It shipped with iOS 5, which is the fifth major version of Apple's mobile operating system, iOS. It had new features such as iCloud, iMessage, Notification Center, Reminders, and integration with Twitter. It also had a voice activation system named Siri that was included in later generations of mobile Apple products.
Features[change | change source]
The iPhone 4S introduced a new automated voice control system called "Siri". It first operated only on the iPhone 4S. It allows the user to give commands to the iPhone, which Siri can execute and respond to. For example, iPhone commands such as "What is the weather going to be like?" will generate a response such as "The weather is to be cloudy and rainy and drop to 54 degrees today". These commands can vary greatly and control almost every section of the phone. The commands given do not have to be specific and can be used with natural language. Siri makes it is much easier and/or possible for people to use device functions while driving, exercising, or when they have their hands full. It also means people with trouble reading, seeing, or typing can access the phone more easily.
References[change | change source]
- Apple Inc. (2011-10-17). "iPhone 4S First Weekend Sales Top Four Million". Press release. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/10/17iPhone-4S-First-Weekend-Sales-Top-Four-Million.html. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- Toor, Amar (October 11, 2011). "Benchmarks clock iPhone 4S' A5 CPU at 1 GHz, show major GPU upgrade over iPhone 4". Engadget. http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/11/benchmarks-clock-iphone-4s-a5-cpu-at-800mhz-show-major-gpu-upg/. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- "iPhone 4S Teardown". iFixit. 2011-10-13. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4S-Teardown/6610/1. Retrieved 2013-12-24. "Check out the marking, specifically E4E4, denoting two 2 Gb LPDDR2 die—for a total of 4 Gb—or 512 MB"
- Neues iPhone 4S, by Der Speigel, 05.10.2011 (Translation by Google)
- iPhone 4S: 4 Reasons to Upgrade by Jennifer Van Grove at Mashable