|Died||June 23, 2021 (aged 75)|
|Cause of death||Suicide by hanging|
|Nationality||British / American|
|Alma mater||Roanoke College|
|Occupation||Software developer, founder of McAfee, Chairman of Future Tense Secure Systems|
|Known for||McAfee, Inc|
|Political party||Libertarian Party|
Cyber Party (2015)
John David McAfee  (September 18, 1945 – June 23, 2021) was a British-American computer programmer. He was the developer of the first commercial anti-virus program. This bore the McAfee brand-name for years, until it was bought by Intel and given the Intel name.
Early life[change | change source]
Business career[change | change source]
His wealth peaked at $100 million, before his investments suffered in the global crisis of 2007. McAfee also has interests in smartphone apps, yoga and all-natural antibiotics.
Political career[change | change source]
On September 8, 2015, McAfee announced that he would seek the office of President of the United States in the 2016 presidential election as the candidate of a newly formed political party called the Cyber Party. On December 24, 2015 he re-announced his candidacy bid, saying that he would instead seek the Libertarian nomination for President.
Death[change | change source]
On June 23, 2021, McAfee was found dead after committing suicide by hanging in a prison cell in Sant Esteve Sesrovires near Barcelona. Hours before his death, Spain approved for McAfee to be extradited to the United States for tax crimes.
References[change | change source]
- Future Tense Central. "About Us - Future Tense Central". futuretensecentral.com.
- "FEC FORM 2" (PDF). Federal Election Commission. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- Garcia, Ahiza (September 8, 2015). "John McAfee announces he's running for President". CNN. Retrieved September 8, 2015.
- Swartz, Jon. "McAfee will run as Libertarian Party candidate for president". USA TODAY. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- "John McAfee to Run for President in 2020". Bitsonline. June 4, 2018. Archived from the original on June 16, 2018. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
- Carranco, Rebeca (2021-06-23). "El fundador del antivirus McAfee, John McAfee, se suicida en una prisión de Barcelona". EL PAÍS (in Spanish). Archived from the original on June 23, 2021. Retrieved 2021-06-23.
- "McAfee antivirus software creator dead in Spanish prison". AP News. 2021-06-23. Archived from the original on June 23, 2021. Retrieved June 23, 2021.
- "John McAfee Reportedly Found Dead In Prison". The African Media. 2021-06-23. Archived from the original on 2021-06-24. Retrieved 2021-06-24.
Other websites[change | change source]
Quotations related to John McAfee at Wikiquote
- John McAfee's website
- McAfee's 2016 presidential campaign website Archived 2016-01-10 at the Wayback Machine
- John McAfee on Facebook
- John McAfee at YouTube
- @officialmcafee on Twitter
- Bio on NNDB
- "Zone Labs To Get Funding, New Board Member" Archived 2008-10-07 at the Wayback Machine, InformationWeek, October 2, 2000