My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
|My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy|
|Studio album by|
|Released||November 22, 2010|
|Label||Roc-A-Fella, Def Jam|
|Producer||Kanye West (also exec.), Jeff Bhasker, Bink, DJ Frank E, Emile, Jay-Z (exec.), Kyambo Joshua (exec.), L.A. Reid (exec.), Lex Luger, Mike Caren, Mike Dean, No I.D., Gee Roberson (exec.), The RZA, S1|
|Kanye West chronology|
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the fifth studio album by American rapper Kanye West. The album was released on November 22, 2010. The album peaked at #1 on the Canadian Albums Chart, US Billboard 200, US Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Albums and US Billboard Rap Albums. Music critics gave it very good reviews. Pitchfork gave it ten out of ten. It won the Grammy Award for Best Rap Album. In 2012 Rolling Stone magazine put the album at number 353 on its list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
The making of the album came after the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards. During Taylor Swift's speech for Best Female Video, West wikt:interrupted to say Beyoncé should have won the award. After the incident, West went to Hawaii to rest from stress. Most of the songs were created during this time.
Singles[change | change source]
Four singles were released from the album. The first single "Power" was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance.
Track listing[change | change source]
|2.||"Gorgeous" (featuring Kid Cudi and Raekwon)||
|4.||"All of the Lights (Interlude)"||1:02|
|5.||"All of the Lights"||4:59|
|6.||"Monster" (featuring Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj and Bon Iver)||6:18|
|7.||"So Appalled" (featuring Swizz Beatz, Jay-Z, Pusha T, Cyhi the Prynce and RZA)||
|8.||"Devil in a New Dress" (featuring Rick Ross)||5:52|
|9.||"Runaway" (featuring Pusha T)||9:08|
|10.||"Hell of a Life"||5:27|
|11.||"Blame Game" (featuring John Legend)||7:49|
|12.||"Lost in the World" (featuring Bon Iver)||4:16|
|13.||"Who Will Survive in America"||1:38|
- Notes and sample credits
- ^a signifies additional producer
- ^b signifies a co-producer
- "Dark Fantasy" contains samples of "In High Places," written by Mike Oldfield and Jon Anderson, and performed by Oldfield.
- "Gorgeous" contains portions and elements of the composition "You Showed Me," written by Gene Clark and Roger McGuinn, and performed by The Turtles.
- "Power" contains elements from "It's Your Thing," performed by Cold Grits; elements of "Afromerica," written by Francois Bernheim, Jean-Pierre Lang, and Boris Bergman, and performed by Continent Number 6; and material sampled from "21st Century Schizoid Man," composed by Robert Fripp, Michael Giles, Greg Lake, Ian McDonald, and Peter Sinfield, and performed by King Crimson.
- "So Appalled" contains samples of "You Are—I Am," written by Manfred Mann, and performed by Manfred Mann's Earth Band.
- "Devil in a New Dress" contains samples of "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow," written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin, and performed by Smokey Robinson
- "Runaway" contains a sample of "Expo 83," written by J. Branch, and performed by Backyard Heavies; and excerpts from Rick James Live at Long Beach, CA, 1981.
- "Hell of a Life" contains samples of "She’s My Baby," written by Sylvester Stewart, and performed by The Mojo Men; samples of "Stud-Spider" by Tony Joe White; and portions of "Iron Man," written by Terence Butler, Anthony Iommi, John Osbourne, and William Ward.
- "Blame Game" contains elements of "Avril 14th," written by Richard James, and performed by Aphex Twin.
- "Lost in the World" contains portions of "Soul Makossa", written by Manu Dibango; a sample of "Think (About It)," written by James Brown, and performed by Lyn Collins; samples of "Woods," written by Justin Vernon, and performed by Bon Iver; and samples of "Comment No. 1," written and performed by Gil Scott-Heron.
- "Who Will Survive In America" contains samples of "Comment No. 1" performed by Gil Scott-Heron.
References[change | change source]
- "Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". Pitchfork.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-13. Retrieved 2012-02-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Media notes). Kanye West. Roc-A-Fella Records. 2010.CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) (link)