|Prime Minister of Congo-Léopoldville|
24 June 1960 – 14 September 1960
|Preceded by||position established|
|Succeeded by||Joseph Iléo|
2 July 1925
Katakokombe, Belgian Congo
|Died||17 January 1961 (aged 35)|
Near Élisabethville, Katanga
(Now Lubumbashi, Congo-Kinshasa)
|Political party||Congolese National Movement|
Patrice Émery Lumumba (July 2, 1925 – January 17, 1961) was the only elected leader of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (called the Republic of the Congo at the time, but this should not be confused with today's Republic of the Congo). The official position of the US government, as seen in the U.S. News & World Report, associated Lumumba's ideas of African socialist democracy as an African brand of communism. Thus, the Americans had plans to kill him. He was murdered by the Katangans on January 17, 1961, just months after independence.
Lumumba's son, François is now a political figure in the Congo. He has created a small Lumumbist group.
References[change | change source]
- Fabian, Johannes (1996). Remembering the Present: Painting and Popular History in Zaire. Berkeley: University of California Press. p. 73. ISBN 978-0520203761.
- Willame, Jean-Claude (1990). Patrice Lumumba: La crise congolaise revisitée. Paris: Karthala. pp. 22, 23, 25. ISBN 978-2-86537-270-6.
- Kanyarwunga, Jean I N (2006). République démocratique du Congo : Les générations condamnées : Déliquescence d'une société précapitaliste. Paris: Publibook. pp. 76, 502. ISBN 9782748333435.
- The Congo Story: From Lumumba to Mzee Kabila. By Alfred N. Mutua, Editorial, The Nation (Nairobi), 22 April 2001
Sources[change | change source]
Other websites[change | change source]
- Quotations related to Patrice Lumumba at Wikiquote
- Media related to Patrice Lumumba at Wikimedia Commons
- Virtual Memorial to Patrice Lumumba, at Find-A-grave.
- SpyCast – 1 December 2007: On Assignment to Congo-Peter chats with Larry Devlin, the CIA's legendary station chief in Congo during the 1960s.
- Africa Within. A rich source of information on Lumumba, including a reprint of Stephen R. Weissman's 21 July 2002 article from the Washington Post.
- Patrice Lumumba at Find a Grave
Position created on independence from Belgium
| Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of the Congo
24 June 1960 – 5 September 1960