Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
|Type||Division of Walt Disney Studios|
|When it was created||1953(as Buena Vista Film Distribution Company, Inc.)|
|Headquarters||Walt Disney Studios (Burbank) at 500 S. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, California, United States
|Key people||Dave Hollis (executive vice-president)|
|Services||Movie distribution and marketing|
|Website||Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures|
The company began in 1953 as Buena Vista Distribution Company, to manage distribution, marketing and promotion for movies produced by the Walt Disney Studios. These include Walt Disney Pictures, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, DisneyToon Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, Disneynature, and Touchstone Pictures.
The division changed to its current name in 2007. Since 1987, the company name had been Buena Vista Pictures Distribution.
History[change | change source]
Before 1953, Walt Disney's productions were distributed by Columbia Pictures, United Artists and RKO. However, an argument led to Walt and his older brother Roy O. Disney beginning the Buena Vista Film Distribution Company, Inc. (BVDC), to handle North American distribution of their own products.
For the November 1995 Toy Story premiere, Disney rented the Hollywood Masonic Temple for Totally Toy Story, as a multimedia funhouse and a promotional event for the movie. Because of its success as a venue, in July 1998, Buena Vista Pictures Distribution bought the Masonic Temple building.
In April 2007, Disney stopped using the Buena Vista nickname in its distribution branding.
In 2009, Disney began a partnership with DreamWorks Studios. They agreed to make an estimated 30 movies over a five-year period from DreamWorks and release them under the Touchstone Pictures name. The distribution deal will end in August 2016. DreamWorks and Disney decided to not renew their agreement in December 2015; with Universal Pictures replacing Disney as DreamWorks' distributor.
Distribution[change | change source]
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures has released the most movies that have earned more than $1-billion, (nine, in worldwide grosses), among major Hollywood studios, with eight of the twenty highest-grossing movies of all time being distributed by Disney.
The company distributes all feature movies produced by Walt Disney Studios, other Disney movie units and some third-party studios.
Highest-grossing movies[change | change source]
‡—Includes theatrical reissue(s).
References[change | change source]
- Toumarkine, Doris (21 June 2013). "Global recognition: Dave Hollis brings Disney brands to a world audience". Film Journal International. http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjournal/content_display/news-and-features/features/movies/e3ia952483a5f8243704b2f7cedf9043243. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "Company Overview of Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, Inc.". Bloomberg Businessweek. 2 July 2016. http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=27830118. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc.". Entity Information. New York State Department of State. http://appext20.dos.ny.gov/corp_public/CORPSEARCH.ENTITY_INFORMATION?p_nameid=105258&p_corpid=86298&p_entity_name=Buena%20Vista&p_name_type=%25&p_search_type=BEGINS&p_srch_results_page=1. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- The Disney Studio Story, by Richard Holliss and Brian Sibley, 1988.
- Kronke, David (November 21, 1995). "After 'Toy Story' Credits Roll, the Fun Comes Alive". Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1995-11-21/entertainment/ca-5789_1_toy-story. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Fulmer, Melinda (17 July 1998). "Disney Unit Buys Historic Masonic Temple". Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1998/jul/17/business/fi-4422. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Kay, Jeremy (23 July 2003). "DPS buys into Vanguard Animation, forms co-production giant". Screen Daily. http://www.screendaily.com/dps-buys-into-vanguard-animation-forms-co-production-giant/4014286.article. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Disney's BVITV-AP brings 'Toon Disney' block to Vietnam". Indiantelevision.com. 1 February 2007. http://www.indiantelevision.com/television/broadcasting/tv-channels/kids/disneys-bvitv-ap-brings-toon-disney-block-to-vietnam. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- Lang, Brent (16 December 2015). "Steven Spielberg, Jeff Skoll Bring Amblin Partners to Universal". Variety. http://variety.com/2015/film/news/steven-spiellberg-universal-1201662956/. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- Busch, Anita (16 December 2015). "It’s Official: Spielberg, DreamWorks, Participant, eOne, Others Pact For Amblin Partners". Deadline.com. http://deadline.com/2015/12/spielberg-dreamworks-participant-eone-others-pact-for-amblin-partners-1201668244/. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- Pamela McClintock; Gregg Kilday (16 December 2015). "Steven Spielberg, Jeff Skoll Team to Form Amblin Partners, Strike Distribution Deal With Universal". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-jeff-skoll-team-849249. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- Rainey, James (30 December 2015). "Steven Spielberg Puts His Own Big Bucks Into the New Amblin Partners (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. http://variety.com/2015/film/news/steven-spielberg-amblin-investment-1201669720/. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "All Time Worldwide Box Office Grosses". Box Office Mojo. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "'Toy Story 3' Reaches $1 Billion". Box Office Mojo. 29 August 2010. http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2904&p=.htm. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "Around-the-World Roundup: 'Avengers' Reaches $1 Billion Worldwide". Box Office Mojo. 13 May 2012. http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3443&p=.htm. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "Universal Crosses $3 Billion at the Worldwide Box Office". GeekNation. 8 July 2015. http://geeknation.com/universal-crosses-3-billion-at-the-worldwide-box-office/. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "DOMESTIC GROSSES BY MPAA RATING". http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic/mpaa.htm?page=G&p=.htm. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Mendelson, Scott (21 December 2015). "'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Box Office: $248M Opening Weekend, $529M Worldwide". Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/12/21/star-wars-the-force-awakens-box-office-247m-opening-weekend-528m-worldwide/. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Lang, Brent (21 December 2015). "‘Star Wars,’ ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’ Push Disney Past $5 Billion Mark for First Time". Variety. http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-box-office-disney-5-billion-1201666226/. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- McNary, Dave (26 December 2015). "‘Star Wars’ Lifts Disney to $2 Billion at 2015 U.S. Box Office". Variety. http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-box-office-disney-1201667918/. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Hammond, Pete (1 July 2015). "Oscars Halftime Report: Can Animated 'Inside Out' Turn Best Picture Race Upside Down?". Deadline.com. http://deadline.com/2015/07/oscar-inside-out-best-picture-1201467081/. Retrieved 4 July 2016.