Wilmington, North Carolina
|Wilmington, North Carolina|
|Nickname(s): Port City|
|Incorporated||December 31, 1739|
|• Mayor||Bill Saffo|
|• Total||41.5 sq mi (107.4 km2)|
|• Land||41.0 sq mi (106.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||30 ft (9 m)|
|• Density||1,849.8/sq mi (714.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1023269|
|Sister cities||Dandong, China
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Wilmington is a city in New Hanover County, North Carolina, United States. The population was around at 96,000 during 2006;. It is the county seat of New Hanover County. It was named in honor of Spencer Compton, the Earl of Wilmington, who was Prime Minister at the same time as George II was King of England.
References[change | change source]
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- US Census Bureau "- North Carolina by place". http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GCTTable?-ds_name=PEP_2006_EST&-mt_name=PEP_2006_EST_GCTT1_ST9&-geo_id=04000US37&-format=ST-9&-tree_id=806&-context=gct US Census Bureau.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Template.cfm?Section=Find_a_County&Template=/cffiles/counties/usamap.cfm. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Official website of Wilmington, NC
- Wilmington travel guide from Wikivoyage
- The Insiders' Guide to Wilmington, NC
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Wilmington, North Carolina|