Blount County, Alabama
|Blount County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Alabama's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1818|
650.60 sq mi (1,685 km²)
645.59 sq mi (1,672 km²)
5.02 sq mi (13 km²), 0.77%
89/sq mi (34/km²)
According to the Census Bureau, this county has a total area of 650.60 square miles (1,685.0 km2). 645.59 square miles (1,672.1 km2) is land and 5.02 square miles (13.0 km2) (0.77%) is water.
Major highways [change]
- Interstate 65
- U.S. Highway 31
- U.S. Highway 231
- U.S. Highway 278
- State Route 75
- State Route 79
- State Route 132
- State Route 160
Border counties [change]
- Marshall County, Alabama - northeast
- Etowah County, Alabama - east
- St. Clair County, Alabama - southeast
- Walker County, Alabama - southwest
- Jefferson County, Alabama - south
- Cullman County, Alabama - west & northwest
Cities and towns [change]
- Altoona (part - part of Altoona is in Etowah County)
- County Line (part - part of County Line is in Jefferson County)
- Garden City (part - part of Garden City is in Cullman County)
- Highland Lake
- Locust Fork
- Smoke Rise
- Susan Moore
- Warrior (part - part of Warrior is in Jefferson County)
Blount County is named the "Covered Bridge Capital of Alabama". It has more historic covered bridges standing within a single county than any other in the state. This county celebrates the Covered Bridge Festival every autumn in Oneonta.
Places of interest [change]
Blount County is home to many outdoor activities, such as Rickwood Caverns State Park and the Locust Fork of the Black Warrior River that are used by canoeists and kayakers. The county is also home to the picturesque covered bridges: the Swann Covered Bridge, the Horton Mill Covered Bridge, and the Easley Covered Bridge. As of summer 2009, all three bridges were closed due to safety concerns. Repairs are scheduled to be completed in 2011.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- http://www.blountcountian.com/news/2010-02-17/News/Citizen_concerns_prompt_covered_bridge_update.html Retrieved June 20, 2010