Gypsies (alternatively Roma people) are a wandering people found mainly in Eurasia, but also in the rest of the world.
Individual groups can be classified into big groups of groups: the Roma of East European birth; the Sinti in Germany and Manouches in France and Catalonia; the Kaló in Spain, Ciganos in Portugal and Gitans of southern France; and the Romanichals of Britain.
The Roma language is made official by many countries of Europe under the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages.
[change] Other websites
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Roma people|
- Monitoring Minority Protection in EU Member States: The Situation of Roma in Spain
- The Health of Gypsies: Problem of caring for travellers is also British, not just European
[change] Notes and references
- Patrin glossary
- Morar B et al. 2004. Mutation History of the Roma/Gypsies. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 75:596–609.
- Kalaydjieva L, Gresham D, and Calafell F. 2001. BMC Medical Genetics , 2:5doi:10.1186/1471-2350-2-5
- Patrin: A Brief History of the Roma