|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||2010s 2020s 2030s – 2040s – 2050s 2060s 2070s|
|Years:||2040 2041 2042 – 2043 – 2044 2045 2046|
|Ab urbe condita||2796|
|Balinese saka calendar||1964–1965|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||壬戌年 (Water Dog)|
4739 or 4679
— to —
癸亥年 (Water Pig)
4740 or 4680
|- Vikram Samvat||2099–2100|
|- Shaka Samvat||1964–1965|
|- Kali Yuga||5143–5144|
|Japanese calendar||Reiwa 25|
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 132|
|Thai solar calendar||2586|
2169 or 1788 or 1016
— to —
2170 or 1789 or 1017
|Unix time||2303683200 – 2335219199|
2043 (MMXLIII) will be a common year starting on Thursday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2043rd year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 43rd year of the 3rd millennium, the 43rd year of the 21st century, and the 4th year of the 2040s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events[change | change source]
- 2043 will see the close of 6000 years of human history, according to the count of years in the Hebrew Old Testament. This may be readily computed by placing the construction of Solomon's Temple (1 Kings 6:1) at 966 BC, a widely accepted date based on the work of Edwin Thiele in the mid 20th century. From 966 BC count back 2992 years to the first man, as given in the Old Testament record. (1656 Adam to the Flood, 427 to Abraham, 430 to the Exodus, 479 to 1 Kings 6:1.) This places the first man at 3958 BC. 6000 years forward takes one to 2043 AD.
- Assuming no further changes in the copyright law, all sound recordings fixed between February 15 and December 31, 1972 will enter public domain in the United States:
- Slovenia will close down its nuclear plant by this year.
In fiction[change | change source]
- 2043 marks the first contact between humans and the Centaurians in the computer game Alien Legacy.
- According to the Acecombat universe, war breaks out between Neucom Inc. and General Resource Ltd. The Universal Peace Enforcement Organization is sent to settle the conflict. The war lasts until 2044.
- The video game Rise of the Robots takes place in November.
- The movie The Postman (1997) concludes.
- The 2010 movie The Book of Eli is set.