Location in Chilton County and the state of Alabama
|Incorporated||April 23, 1873|
|Named for||General James H. Clanton |
|• Mayor||Billie Joe Driver|
|• Total||20.3 sq mi (52.7 km2)|
|• Land||20.3 sq mi (52.6 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||600 ft (183 m)|
|• Density||384.2/sq mi (148/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0157918|
History[change | change source]
The town was founded by Alfred Baker in 1868, when Chilton County was formed. Clanton was named in honor of General James H. Clanton, a brigadier in the Confederate States Army. It was incorporated on April 23, 1873. Baker was also elected first mayor of the town.
Geography[change | change source]
Clanton is located at 32°50'23.316" North, 86°37'41.477" West (32.839810, -86.628188).
Government[change | change source]
Clanton is governed by the mayor-council system. The mayor is elected in a citywide vote. The city council has five members elected from one of five wards.
Economy[change | change source]
Over 80% of Alabama's peach crop comes from Chilton County.
Education[change | change source]
The Chilton County School System provides public education for Clanton. Students in Clanton may attend any public school in Chilton County.
High Schools[change | change source]
- Chilton County High School (Grades 9 through 12)
- LeCroy Technical Center (Grades 10 through 12)
Middle School[change | change source]
Clanton Middle School (Grades 6 through 8)
Elementary Schools[change | change source]
- Clanton Intermediate School (Grades 3 through 5)
- Clanton Elementary School (Grades K through 2)
Media[change | change source]
Newspaper[change | change source]
- The Clanton Advertiser (daily)
Culture and recreation[change | change source]
Clanton has hosted the annual Chilton County Peach Festival since 1952.
Notable residents[change | change source]
- Randall Atcheson, Concert Pianist
- Clay Carroll, Major League baseball player
- Jackie Hayes, major league baseball player
- Jackson W. Moore, former CEO of Union Planters Bank and Regions Financial Corporation
- Jarrod Patterson, major league baseball player
- Drew Roy, actor 
- Grayson Russell, Child actor 
References[change | change source]
- Owen, Thomas McAdory; Marie Bankhead Owen (1921). History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Harvard University: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. pp. 716. http://books.google.com/books.
- Wood, Amy Louise (2009). Lynching and spectacle: witnessing racial violence in America, 1890-1940. University of North Carolina Press. p. 186. ISBN 978-0-8078-3254-7. http://books.google.com/books?id=txZ8PZRsk0YC. Retrieved 2010-06-22. LCCN 2008-5194
- Hutchinson, Daniel (October 6, 2009). "World War II POW Camps in Alabama". Encyclopedia of Alabama. http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/face/Article.jsp?id=h-1418. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2000 and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2005-05-03. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Comparison Table- Alabama". American Fact Finder. United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GCTTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=04000US01&-_box_head_nbr=GCT-PH1&-ds_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U&-format=ST-7. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- Hoskins Morton, Patricia (December 10, 2009). "Chilton County". Encyclopedia of Alabama. http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/face/Article.jsp?id=h-1307. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- "Education Opportunities". City of Clanton. http://www.clanton.al.us/education.html. Retrieved 13 January 2010.[dead link]
- Staff Reports, Atcheson plays 10th Carnegie Hall concert, November 17, 2010, "The Clanton Advertiser", Retrieved November 18, 2010
- Reichler, Joseph L., ed. (1979) . The Baseball Encyclopedia (4th edition ed.). New York: Macmillan Publishing. ISBN 0-02-578970-8.
- Jarrod Patterson, http://www.thebaseballcube.com/profile.asp?P=/jarrod-patterson.shtml, retrieved 23 May 2011
- Scott Mims, Local stars in Spielberg series, returns to ‘Hannah Montana’, August 20, 2010, "The Clanton Advertiser", October 27, 2010
- Carlton, Bob (March 21, 2010). "Clanton's Grayson Russell fits in feature films amid regular kid activities". The Birmingham News (Birmingham, Alabama: Alabama Live LLC.). http://blog.al.com/bob-carlton/2010/03/clantons_grayson_russell_fits.html. Retrieved 25 March 2010.