Location of Centre in Cherokee County, Alabama.
|• Mayor||Tony Wilkie|
|• Total||11.53 sq mi (29.87 km2)|
|• Land||11.44 sq mi (29.63 km2)|
|• Water||0.09 sq mi (0.24 km2)|
|Elevation||663 ft (202 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||3,555|
|• Density||310.75/sq mi (119.98/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0115902|
Centre is a city in Cherokee County, Alabama, United States. At the 2010 census the population was 3,273. The city is the county seat of Cherokee County. It is part of the 'Gadsden, Alabama Metropolitan Statistical Area'.
Geography[change | change source]
Centre is located at 34°9'33.052" North, 85°40'29.071" West (34.159181, -85.674742).
Education[change | change source]
The Cherokee County Board of Education provides public education for Centre. Schools in Centre include Cherokee County High School, Cherokee County Career and Technology Center, Centre Middle School, and Centre Elementary School.
Media[change | change source]
Radio Stations[change | change source]
Newspaper[change | change source]
- Cherokee County Herald (weekly)
- The Post (weekly)
Recreation[change | change source]
Notable residents[change | change source]
- John Ross, Cherokee leader
- John J. Pratt, inventor of the pterotype (1865), an early form of typewriter.
References[change | change source]
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 17, 2017.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2000 and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2005-05-03. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Comparison Table- Alabama". American Fact Finder. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 12 January 2010.