General Certificate of Secondary Education
||This article has many issues. Please help fix them or discuss these issues on the talk page.
The General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) is a set of exams taken in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and other British territories. They are usually taken by students aged 15–16, after two years of study. Some pupils can take their exams early if their teachers think them able. Most students taking their GCSEs study between 5 and 12 subjects.
All pupils have to study English, mathematics and science until they are 15-16. They do not have to take the GCSE exams, but the large majority do so. In Wales, students must also study Welsh until they are 14.
Most schools require that a pupil passes 5 or more GCSE exams at grades C or above before they can move on to study A-levels. some schools you have to take I.T and R.E.
Subjects[change | change source]
Compulsory[change | change source]
Creativity[change | change source]
Languages[change | change source]
- Modern foreign languages including: Arabic, Bengali, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Chinese, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Somali, Turkish, Tamil, Urdu and Welsh.
- Classical languages including: Classical Greek, Biblical Hebrew and Latin
Technology[change | change source]
- Engineering and Manufacturing (Double Award)
- Graphic products
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- Applied ICT (Double Award)
- Product Design
- Electronics with Resistant Materials
- Resistant Materials
- Systems and Control Technology
Humanities[change | change source]
- Religious Studies
- Philosophy & Ethics
- Islamic Studies
[change | change source]
- Citizenship (Personal Social Health Education)
- Health and Social Care (Double Award)
- Home Economics: Child Development
- Home Economics: Food and Nutrition
- Social Science
Natural sciences[change | change source]
Others[change | change source]
- Further Mathematics (Further Pure Mathematics for Edexcel IGCSE)
- Applied Business (Double Award)
- Archaeology (may not currently be available as a separate GCSE )
- Business Studies
- Business and Communication Systems
- General Studies
- Outdoor Pursuits - Birdwatching - Fishing
- Physical Education (PE)
- Sports Studies
- Media Studies
A-levels - Exams taken after GCSEs[change | change source]
- International GCSE - GCSE exams for students whose first language is not English.
- Standard Grades - Similar exams taken in Scotland
Other websites[change | change source]
Category:General Certificate of Secondary Education at Wikibooks