|43rd Governor of Colorado|
|Assumed office |
January 8, 2019
|Preceded by||John Hickenlooper|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Colorado's 2nd district
January 3, 2009 – January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Mark Udall|
|Succeeded by||Joe Neguse|
|Member of the Colorado State Board of Education|
from the at-large district
|Preceded by||Ben Alexander|
|Succeeded by||Seat abolished|
May 12, 1975
Boulder, Colorado, U.S.
Marlon Reis (m. 2021)
|Education||Princeton University (BA)|
Polis served as the U.S. Representative for Colorado's 2nd congressional district from 2009 to 2019. He is a Democrat. He was among the richest members of Congress. His personal net worth is estimated at nearly $400 million.
Polis was one of the few people to be openly gay when first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives and the first gay parent in Congress. In 2018, he became the first openly gay man and second openly LGBT person (after Kate Brown of Oregon) elected governor of a U.S. state. He is also the first Jewish governor of Colorado. In 2020, he became the first U.S. governor to be engaged to a same-sex partner.
References[change | change source]
- "Jared Polis (D-Colo), 2014". OpenSecrets. Center for Responsive Politics. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- Matthews, Mark K. (June 11, 2017). "Jared Polis to join crowded 2018 race for governor". The Denver Post. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- Shelbourne, Mallory (June 11, 2017). "Rep. Jared Polis to run for Colorado governor". The Hill. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- Phillips, Kate (January 6, 2009). "New Voices in Congress Will Change the Tone of the Democratic Majority". The New York Times. Retrieved January 7, 2008.
- Terkel, Amanda (September 30, 2011). "Jared Polis Announces Birth Of Son, Becoming First Openly Gay Parent In Congress". Huffington Post. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- "Jared Polis to become Colorado's first openly gay governor". latimes.com. Associated Press. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- "Jared Polis Makes History As America's First Openly Gay Male Governor". time.com. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- "Jared Polis elected first Jewish governor of Colorado". timesofisrael.com. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- "Colorado Gov. Jared Polis and his longtime partner, Marlon Reis, are engaged". coloradosun.com. March 4, 2021. Retrieved August 26, 2021.
- Birkeland, Bente. "Gov. Jared Polis And Long-Time Partner Marlon Reis Marry In Small, Private Ceremony". Colorado Public Radio. Retrieved 2021-09-15.