Mena Alexandra Suvari
February 13, 1979
Newport, Rhode Island, U.S.
|Occupation||Actress, fashion designer, model|
(m. 2000–2005, divorced)
Simone Sestito (m. 2010–2012, divorced)
Michael Hope (m. 2018 -)
Mena Alexandra Suvari (born February 13, 1979) is an American actress, fashion designer, and model. She began acting in guest roles on 1990s television programs such as Boy Meets World and High Incident. She made her movie debut in the 1997 drama movie Nowhere.
Her first major movie roles were in American Beauty and American Pie. Both of these moves were in 1999. She was nominated for a BAFTA Award for American Beauty. Next she was in Loser (2000), with her American Pie co-star, Jason Biggs. In 2001, she played the main character in the comedy movie Sugar & Spice. She was in the 2002 drama Spun and the 2004 thriller Trauma. She was also in the HBO's drama series Six Feet Under in 2004. While working on this series, she was nominated as a member of cast by the Screen Actors Guild for "Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series" in 2005. In 2008, she was cast in a many movies. These incude Day of the Dead, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, and the movie version of The Garden of Eden.
Suvari is a model for Lancôme cosmetics. She has been in many fashion blogs and magazines such as Vogue. She is an activist for the African relief organization, the African Medical and Research Foundation. Feminist issues are also important to her. She works with charities whose cause is breast cancer, and "End Violence Against Women" campaign.
Early life[change | change source]
Suvari was born in Newport, Rhode Island. She is the daughter of Candice, a nurse, and Ando Süvari, a psychiatrist. Her mother is half Greek and her father is part Estonian. She has three older brothers.
Her family moved Charleston, South Carolina. Growing up, Mena wanted to be an archaeologist, astronaut or doctor. A modeling agency came to her all-girls school, Ashley Hall, to offer classes. By the time she started acting, she had been modeling for the New York-based Wilhelmina agency for five years.
Personal life[change | change source]
In 2007, Suvari began dating Italian-Canadian concert promoter Simone Sestito. She met him at the 2007 Toronto International Film Festival. They were married on June 26, 2010 in Rome. They chose Rome because most of Sestito's family lives near the city. On January 13, 2012, Suvari said she wanted a divorce from Sestito. The divorce became final in October 2012.
In October 2018, she married her boyfriend Michael Hope.
Filmography[change | change source]
|1995–1996||Boy Meets World||Laura||Episodes "Danger Boy" and "The Grass Is Always Greener"|
|1996||Minor Adjustments||Emily||Episode "A Fish Story"|
|1996||ER||Laura-Lee Armitage||Episode "Last Call"|
|1996–1997||High Incident||Jill Marsh||3 episodes|
|1997||Chicago Hope||Ivy Moore||Episode "Sympathy for the Devil"|
|1999||Atomic Train||Grace Seger||TV movie|
|2004||Six Feet Under||Edie||7 episodes|
Nominated—Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
|2008||Sex and Lies in Sin City||Sandy Murphy||TV movie|
|2010||Psych||Allison Cowley||Episode "Yang 3 in 2D" (5.16)|
|2011||The Cape||Dice||Episode "Dice" (1.05)|
|2011||American Horror Story||Elizabeth Short||2 episodes: "Spooky Little Girl" and "Afterbirth"|
References[change | change source]
- "Mena Suvari False Facts". menasuvarifan.com. Archived from the original on 2010-11-12. Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- "Pie's American Beauty Dabbles in Swordplay". Girl.com.au. October 2001.
- Murray, Rebecca. "Interview with Mena Suvari at the Hollywood Premiere of "Rumor Has It"". About.com. Archived from the original on 2007-12-14. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "Biography for Mena Suvari". The Internet Movie Database.
- Fowler, Brandi (June 26, 2010). "Mena Suvari Ties the Knot in Italy!". E! Online.
- "Actress Mena Suvari Weds in Vatican City!". Us Magazine. June 26, 2010. Archived from the original on June 30, 2010. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- "American Beauty star Mena Suvari weds in fairytale ceremony at the Vatican". The Daily Mail. London. June 27, 2010.
- "Mena Suvari Files for Divorce". People. January 13, 2012. Archived from the original on March 2, 2012. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- "Mena Suvari - Officially Divorced". TMZ. October 1, 2012.
- "How veganism changed Mena Suvari's life". Gulf News. April 24, 2018. Archived from the original on April 24, 2018. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- Sloane, Carly (April 9, 2018). "Mena Suvari Dishes on Her Vegan Lifestyle and Sustainable Fashion". Us Weekly. Archived from the original on June 17, 2018. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- Pasquini, Maria (22 October 2018). "Mena Suvari Secretly Married Michael Hope". People.com. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mena Suvari.|