From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|The Latin alphabet|
Some people say that the letter Q is not needed, because the sound it makes can be made with "K" and "W" instead. The same sort of things are said about the letters "X" and "C".
Below are some ancient ways of writing "Q":
|Egyptian hieroglyph Q||Phoenician Q||Etruscan Q||Greek Qoppa|
Meanings for Q[change | edit source]
- In chess, Q is used to mean the queen piece.
- In English, Q can be a short letter for 'question'.
- In a deck of playing cards, Q is used to mark each of the queens.
- In science fiction, Q is a character in several Star Trek television shows.
- Q is also the name of a character in the James Bond film series, who was played by Desmond Llewelyn (and John Cleese after Desmond Llewelyn died).
- In Internet slang, "q" is used for the Spanish word "que", which means "that", "which", or "what".