St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana
St. Bernard Parish
|Coordinates: 29°53′N 89°21′W / 29.89°N 89.35°W|
|Founded||March 31, 1807|
|Named for||Bernardo de Galvez|
|• Total||2,158 sq mi (5,590 km2)|
|• Land||378 sq mi (980 km2)|
|• Water||1,781 sq mi (4,610 km2) 83%|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||122/sq mi (47/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−5 (CDT)|
St. Bernard Parish (French: Paroisse de Saint-Bernard; Spanish: Parroquia de San Bernardo) is a parish in the U.S. state of Louisiana. As of the 2010 census, the population was 35,897. The parish seat and largest community is Chalmette. The parish was formed in 1807. In 2006, because of the effects of Hurricane Katrina, about 25,489 people lived there.
Geography[change | change source]
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the parish has a total area of 2,158 square miles (5,590 km2), of which 378 square miles (980 km2) is land and 1,781 square miles (4,610 km2) (83%) is water. It is the second largest parish in Louisiana by total area and has the largest percentage of area in water of any parish.
Bodies of water[change | change source]
- Lake Borgne (north)
- Mississippi River (southwest)
- Gulf of Mexico (east)
State park[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana". www.census.gov.
- ↑ "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 18, 2011. Retrieved August 18, 2013.
- ↑ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ↑ "St. Bernard Parish". Center for Cultural and Eco-Tourism. Retrieved September 6, 2014.
- ↑ "New Orleans population still cut by more than half". 29 Nov 2006 article by Reuters. Retrieved 2006-12-06.
- ↑ "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Archived from the original on September 28, 2013. Retrieved September 1, 2014.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Official website of the St. Bernard's Parish Government
- Official website of the St. Bernard Parish Tourist Commission
- St. Bernard Chamber of Commerce
- The Isleños of St. Bernard Parish
- H.O.P.E. Project of Violet, Louisiana
- Post-Katrina cleanup and volunteer efforts Archived 2006-02-06 at the Wayback Machine
- Hurricane Katrina Journal by Samantha Perez of St. Bernard Parish
- St Bernard Health Statistics, History, and Vital Information Archived 2007-12-01 at the Wayback Machine
- Chalmation.net Archived 2007-09-28 at the Wayback Machine St. Bernard Internet Portal
Coordinates: 29°53′N 89°21′W / 29.89°N 89.35°W