|Franchise(s)||InterCity West Coast|
9 March 1997 -2019 
|Main route(s)||London - Scotland|
London - North West
London - West Midlands
London - Chester
|Other route(s)||London - Holyhead|
London - Shrewsbury
London - Wrexham
London - Blackpool
|Fleet size||56 Class 390 Pendolino sets|
20 Class 221 Super Voyager sets
|Stations called at||48|
|National Rail abbreviation||VT|
|Parent company||Virgin Rail Group|
Virgin Group (51%)
Virgin Trains was a train operating company in the United Kingdom. They ran trains from London Euston to the North West, West Midlands and Scotland on the West Coast Main Line and trains on the East Coast Main Coast Mainline between London, Yorkshire, the North East and Scotland. Before 11 November 2007, they also run trains linking the south and south-west of England with the north of England through Manchester and Scotland, through Birmingham, under the CrossCountry franchise. Although it is branded as part of Virgin Group, Virgin's share in the company is only 51%, with the remaining 49% owned by Stagecoach. Virgin's share in Virgin Trains East Coast is only 10% with 90% being owned by Stagecoach, although the company is also branded under the Virgin name. The East Coast franchise was transferred to London North Eastern Railway in 2019, and the West Coast franchise to Avanti West Coast.
New trains[change | change source]
Their first trains, formerly owned by British Rail, were very old and broken down, but were replaced by new trains in 2002 on the West Coast and CrossCountry lines. New trains were built for their East Coast operations.
Gallery[change | change source]
Virgin Trains 82114 Driving Van Trailer Platform 1 Glasgow Central Station, Scotland July 2000.
Virgin Trains, Class 221 SuperVoyager, 221109 "Marco Polo" at Chester station.
A picture of a Virgin Trains' MK 3 carriage at Crewe station in the year 2000. It is in its former Inter City livery. Most are now either renovated or scrapped. They were too old to use.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Government launches bids for West Coast franchise". Buying Business Travel. 27 March 2018. Archived from the original on 18 December 2019. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Department for Transport Archived 2010-01-03 at the Wayback Machine
- Virgin Trains Archived 2009-03-27 at the Wayback Machine
As part of British Rail
| Operator of Cross-Country franchise
1997 — 2007
| Operator of InterCity West Coast franchise
1997 — 2017
East Coast (train operating company)
| Operator of InterCity East Coast franchise
2015 — 2018