|Area (rank)||4,725.67 km² (30th)|
|- % water||0.04%|
|Population (April 1, 2012)|
|- Population||989,983 (39th)|
|- Density||209.49 /km²|
|- Flower||Ume blossom (Prunus mume)|
|- Tree||Ubame oak (Quercus phillyraeoides)|
|- Bird||Japanese white-eye (Zosterops japonica)|
Symbol of Wakayama Prefecture
|Template ■ Discussion|
Wakayama Prefecture (和歌山県, Wakayama-ken) is a prefecture in the Kansai region of Japan on the island of Honshū. The capital is the city of Wakayama. Wakayama Prefecture is surrounded by Osaka Prefecture, Nara Prefecture, Mie Prefecture, Hyogo Prefecture and Tokushima Prefecture.
History[change | change source]
Geography[change | change source]
Wakayama's southwestern coastline faces the Seto Inland Sea and its southeastern coastline is on the Pacific Ocean. The northern borders of the prefecture meet Osaka Prefecture, Nara Prefecture, and Mie Prefecture.
Cities[change | change source]
There are nine cities in Wakayama Prefecture:
Towns and villages[change | change source]
These are the towns and villages in each district:
National Parks[change | change source]
National Parks are established in about 9% of the total land area of the prefecture.
Shrines and Temples[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Wakayama prefecture" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 1026; "Kansai" at p. 477.
- Nussbaum, "Wakayama" at p. 1025.
- Nussbaum, "Provinces and prefectures" at p. 780.
- Japan Ministry of the Environment, "General overview of area figures for Natural Parks by prefecture"; retrieved 2012-3-13.
- "Nationwide List of Ichinomiya," p. 3 Archived 2013-05-17 at the Wayback Machine; retrieved 2012-3-13.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Wakayama prefecture at Wikimedia Commons