|Emperor of Japan|
|Reign||30 July 1912–25 December 1926
( 14 years, 148 days)
|Born||31 August 1879|
|Died||25 December 1926(aged 47)|
|Place of death||Tokyo|
|Buried||Imperial Mausoleum (多摩御陵 Tama Goryō )|
Emperor Taishō (大正天皇 Taishō-tennō , 31 August 1879 – 25 December 1926) was the 123rd emperor of Japan according to the traditional order of succession. His reign started in 30 July 1912 and ended with his death in 1926.
Emperor Taishō (meaning "Great Justice") was the name given to Yoshihito after he died. Emperors of Japan are normally renamed like this, and people start using the new name.
Events of Taishō's life[change | edit source]
Taishō's early life was marked by many changes in the role of emperor; and his reign was a period of consolidation.
Timeline[change | edit source]
A timeline of major events includes:
- 1901 (Meiji 34): Prince Michinomiya (also named Hirohito) is born.
- 1912 (Taishō 1): Prince Yoshihito became emperor; also, the Japanese era name becomes the first year of Taishō.
- 1914-1918 (Taishō 3-7): World War I
- 1921 (Taishō 10): Taishō's son Prince Hirohito became regent.
- 1926 (Taishō 15): The emperor dies and the responsibility of the throne passes to Crown Prince Hirohito; also, the era name became the first year of Shōwa.
Related pages[change | edit source]
References[change | edit source]
- Imperial Household Agency (Kunaichō), 大正天皇 (123); retrieved 2011-10-16.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric et al. (2002). "Traditional order of Tennō" in Japan encyclopedia, pp. 962-963.
- Nussbaum, "Taishō Tennō" at p. 929.
- Nussbaum, "Meiji Tennō" at p. 624.
- Nussbaum, "Hirohito" at p. 318.
- Nussbaum, "Shōwa Tennō" at p. 889.
- Hammer, Joshua. (2006). Yokohama Burning: the Deadly 1923 Earthquake and Fire that Helped Forge the Path to World War II, p. 43-44.
Further reading[change | edit source]
- Bix, Herbert P. (2000). Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan. New York: HarperCollins. 10-ISBN 0-06-019314-X; 13-ISBN 978-0-06-019314-0; OCLC 247018161
- Young, Arthur Morgan. (1928). Japan under Taisho Tenno: 1912-1926. London: George Allen & Unwin. OCLC 2158641
Other websites[change | edit source]
|Emperor of Japan