|Emperor of Japan|
|Reign||3 February 1867–30 July 1912
( 45 years, 178 days)
|Born||3 November 1852|
|Died||30 July 1912(aged 59)|
|Place of death||Tokyo|
|Buried||Mozu no Mimihara no naka no misasagi (Osaka)|
Events of Meiji's life[change | edit source]
Meiji's reign was marked by many changes including the move of the Imperial court from Kyoto to Tokyo.
Timeline[change | edit source]
A timeline of major events includes:
- 1868 (Meiji 1): Official beginning of the emperor's reign and Japanese era name becomes the first year of Meiji.
- 1889 (Meiji 22): Meiji Constitution is proclaimed
- 1894 (Meiji 27): Sino-Japanese War
- 1904–1905 (Meiji 37-38):: Russo-Japanese War
- 1912 (Meiji 45): The emperor dies
After death[change | edit source]
He died in Toyko. A detailed account of the state funeral in the New York Times concluded with an observation: "The contrast between that which preceded the funeral car and that which followed it was striking indeed. Before it went old Japan; after it came new Japan."
Honors[change | edit source]
Related pages[change | edit source]
- Emperor of Japan
- List of Emperors of Japan
- Japanese Imperial family tree
- Meiji period
- Meiji Seamount
References[change | edit source]
- Imperial Household Agency (Kunaichō), 明治天皇 (122); retrieved 2011-10-16.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric et al. (2002). "Traditional order of Tennō" in Japan encyclopedia, pp. 962-963.
- Nussbaum, "Kōmei Tennō" at p. 553.
- Nussbaum, "Meiji" at p. 624.
- Nussbaum, "Meiji Tennō" at p. 624.
- Nussbaum, "Taishō Tennō" at p. 929.
- "The Funeral Ceremonies of Meiji Tenno" reprinted from the Japan Advertiser [Article 8—No Title], New York Times. 13 October 1912; retrieved 2011-10-16.
- Japan-guide.com, "Meiji Shrine"; Meiji jingū, "Introduction"; retrieved 2012-6-13.
- "The Mikado's Garter," New York Times. 28 July 1906; retrieved 2011-10-16.
Further reading[change | edit source]
- Jansen, Marius. (1995). The Emergence of Meiji Japan. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.10-ISBN 0521482380/13-ISBN 9780521482387; 10-ISBN 0521484057/13-ISBN 9780521484053; OCLC 31515308
- Keene, Donald. (2002). Emperor of Japan: Meiji and His World, 1852–1912. New York: Columbia University Press. 10-ISBN 023112340X/13-ISBN 9780231123402; OCLC 46731178
Other websites[change | edit source]
|Emperor of Japan