Asia Cooperation Dialogue
|Type||Regional cooperation organizations|
|Dr. Pornchai Danvivathana|
|46,872,864 km2 (18,097,714 sq mi)|
|92/km2 (238.3/sq mi)|
The Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD) is an intergovernmental organization created on 18 June 2002. It was created to promote Asian cooperation. The organization covers all of Asia. Its secretariat is in Kuwait.
History[change | change source]
The idea of an Asia Cooperation Dialogue was talked about at the First International Conference of Asian Political Parties (held in Manila between 17–20 September 2000) by Surakiart Sathirathai. People thought that Asia as a continent should have its own forum to discuss Asia-wide cooperation. The idea was formally put forward during the 34th ASEAN Foreign Ministers Meeting in Hanoi, 23–24 July 2001, and at the ASEAN Foreign Ministers Retreat in Phuket, 20–21 February 2002.
Ministerial meetings[change | change source]
|1st||Cha-am||18–19 June 2002|
|2nd||Chiang Mai||21–22 June 2003|
|3rd||Qingdao||21–22 June 2004|
|4th||Islamabad||4–6 April 2005|
|5th||Doha||23–24 May 2006|
|6th||Seoul||5–6 June 2007|
|7th||Astana||16–17 October 2008|
|8th||Colombo||15–16 October 2009|
|9th||Tehran||8–9 November 2010|
|10th||Kuwait City||10–11 October 2012|
|11th||Dushanbe||29 March 2013|
|12th||Manama||26 November 2013|
|13th||Riyadh||25 November 2014|
|14th||Bangkok||9–10 March 2016|
|15th||Abu Dhabi||16–17 January 2017|
|16th||Doha||30 April 2019|
Summits[change | change source]
|I||Kuwait City||15–17 October 2012|
|II||Bangkok||8–10 October 2016|
Member states[change | change source]
The ACD was founded by 18 members. The organization currently has 34 states, listed below (it includes all current members of the ASEAN and the GCC). Overlapping regional organization membership in italics.
|Name||Accession date||Regional organization|
|Afghanistan||17 October 2012||SAARC, ECO|
|Bahrain||18 June 2002||GCC, AL|
|Bangladesh||18 June 2002||SAARC, BIMSTEC|
|Bhutan [t 1]||27 September 2004||SAARC, BIMSTEC|
|Brunei||18 June 2002||ASEAN|
|Cambodia||18 June 2002||ASEAN, MGC|
|China||18 June 2002||SCO|
|India||18 June 2002||SAARC, BIMSTEC, MGC, SCO|
|Indonesia||18 June 2002||ASEAN|
|Iran||21 June 2004||ECO|
|Japan||18 June 2002||—|
|Kazakhstan [t 2]||21 June 2003||CIS, ECO, SCO|
|South Korea||18 June 2002||—|
|Kuwait||21 June 2003||GCC, AL|
|Kyrgyzstan||16 October 2008||CIS, ECO, SCO|
|Laos||18 June 2002||ASEAN, MGC|
|Malaysia||18 June 2002||ASEAN|
|Mongolia||21 June 2004||—|
|Myanmar||18 June 2002||ASEAN, BIMSTEC, MGC|
|Nepal||10 March 2016||SAARC, BIMSTEC|
|Oman||21 June 2003||GCC, AL|
|Pakistan||18 June 2002||SAARC, SCO, ECO|
|Philippines||18 June 2002||ASEAN,|
|Qatar||18 June 2002||GCC, AL|
|Russia [t 2]||4 April 2005||CIS, CoE, SCO|
|Saudi Arabia||4 April 2005||GCC, AL|
|Singapore||18 June 2002||ASEAN|
|Sri Lanka||21 June 2003||SAARC, BIMSTEC|
|Tajikistan||5 June 2006||CIS, ECO, SCO|
|Thailand||18 June 2002||ASEAN, BIMSTEC, MGC|
|Turkey[t 2]||26 September 2013||CoE,[t 3] ECO,|
|United Arab Emirates||21 June 2004||GCC, AL|
|Uzbekistan||5 June 2006||CIS, ECO, SCO|
|Vietnam||18 June 2002||ASEAN, MGC|
References[change | change source]
- "Asia Cooperation Dialogue". www.acd-dialogue.org.
- Corresponds to the terrestrial surface. Including the Exclusive Economic Zones of each member state, the total area is 73 936 667 km².
- "From Rep. of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs". Republic of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Retrieved 2020-11-21.
- "Arrangements for media coverage of the 8th Asia Cooperation Dialogue Ministerial Meeting October 2009" (PDF). Retrieved 15 September 2009.[permanent dead link]
- "Thaksin's Statement at the 11th Asia Cooperation Dialogue Ministerial Meeting". wordpress.com. 3 April 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "12th Asia Cooperation Dialogue Ministerial Meeting held in Bahrain". xinhuanet.com. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "32 ministers to attend Riyadh conference". Arab News.com. 2 November 2009. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- "Chairman's Statement 14th Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD) Ministerial Meeting" (PDF).
- "15th ACD Ministerial Meeting, 16–17 January 2017, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates". 17 January 2017.
- "16th ACD Ministerial Meeting, 30 April 2019, Doha, Qatar". 17 January 2017.
- "Asia Cooperation Dialogue". www.acd-dialogue.org. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "No: 253, 26 September 2013, Press Release on Turkey's Membership to the Asia Cooperation Dialogue". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkey. 26 September 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Assistant Foreign Minister Zhai Jun Attends the 7th Asia Cooperation Dialogue Foreign Ministers'Meeting in Kazakhstan". Retrieved 28 June 2010.