Baines on her 115th birthday on April 6, 2009, aged 115
|Born||April 6, 1894|
|Died||September 11, 2009|
(aged 115 years, 158 days)
|Known for||Oldest verified person in the world (2 January 2009 – 11 September 2009)|
Gertrude Baines (April 6, 1894 – September 11, 2009) was an American supercentenarian. She was the oldest person in the world from January 2, 2009 until her death on September 11, 2009. She was the last person known to have been born in 1894 and the oldest ever person to have been born in that year.
Personal history[change | change source]
Gertrude Baines married Sam Conley at a very young age and had one daughter who died of typhoid fever at the age of 18. Baines was known to have been living in Hartford, Connecticut before moving to Ohio, where she worked as a maid at the Ohio State University. She later moved to California, where she lived on her own until age 105. She spent her final years at the Western Convalescent Center in Jefferson Park, Los Angeles.
Longevity[change | change source]
- March 2, 2006 – Marion Higgins died, Baines became the oldest person in California.
- November 11, 2008 – Baines became the oldest ever person to be born in the state of Georgia.
- November 26, 2008 – Edna Parker died, Baines became the oldest living American.
- December 6, 2008 – Catherine Hagel died, Baines became the last known person to have been born in 1894.
- January 2, 2009 – Maria de Jesus died, Baines became the oldest living person.
Maria de Jesus
| Oldest Recognized Living Person
January 2, 2009 – September 11, 2009