|Born||2 January 1903|
(age 118 years, 297 days)
She is the third-oldest verified person in the world (behind Jeanne Calment and Sarah Knauss) and oldest verified Japanese person ever, after exceeding the record of Nabi Tajima in September 2020.
Biography[change | change source]
She married Hideo Tanaka at age 19 and was in charge of an udon noodle shop when her husband and eldest son Nobuo were sent to fight in World War II. After the war, she and her husband became Christians and ran a rice shop together.
References[change | change source]
- "Validated Living Supercentenarians". grg.org. Gerontology Research Group. 19 October 2017. Archived from the original on 29 April 2016. Retrieved 20 October 2017. The Gerontology Research Group(GRG) lists people as living whose age has been validated and confirmed to be alive within the past year.
- "117-year-old granny sets new record as Japan's oldest ever person". Kyodo News+. Retrieved 2021-04-29.
- McCurry, Justin (2020-09-21). "Woman, 117, marks becoming Japan's oldest ever person with cola and boardgames". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2021-04-29.
- Kyodo. "Japan's oldest person Chiyo Miyako dies at 117". The Japan Times. Retrieved July 26, 2018.
- "117-yr-old woman recognized as Japan's oldest ever person". 19 September 2020 – via Mainichi Daily News.
| Oldest verified living person
22 July 2018 — Present