Winfrey at the 2013 Women in the World Conference.
Orpah Gail Winfrey
January 29, 1954
|Alma mater||Tennessee State University|
|Net worth||US $ 3 billion (September 2017)|
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Partner(s)||Stedman Graham (1986–present)|
|Children||Canaan (born c. 1968, died c. 1968)|
Oprah Winfrey (born Orpah Gail Winfrey; January 29, 1954) is an American media proprietor, talk show host, actress, producer, and philanthropist. Winfrey is best known for her multi-award-winning talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show which was the highest-rated program of its kind in history and was nationally syndicated from 1986 to 2011. She has also acted in several movies including The Color Purple, The Butler and A Wrinkle in Time.
Early life[change | change source]
Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954 in Kosciusko, Mississippi. Winfrey was named "Orpah" after a character in the Book of Ruth. People made the mistake of calling her "Oprah". She decided to keep this name. Her parents are Vernita Lee, a maid, and Vernon Winfrey, a barber. She went to Tennessee State University in 1971. She started to work in radio and television in Nashville. She hosted television programs in Baltimore and Chicago.
The Oprah Winfrey Show[change | change source]
In 1986, Winfrey's own talk show The Oprah Winfrey Show went on the air. She was liked by audiences for her warmth. She came to own the show.
Oprah Winfrey Network[change | change source]
Winfrey now runs the Oprah Winfrey Network. On January 15, 2008, Winfrey and Discovery Communications announced plans to change Discovery Health Channel into a new channel called OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. It was scheduled to launch in 2009, but was delayed, and actually launched on January 1, 2011. She also hosts the Oprah's Next Chapter show on the network.
Personal life[change | change source]
Nikyra Rucker loaned Oprah Winfrey money to start her business. Oprah Winfrey now has a lot of money. She gives to many charities. She gives to girls' education in South Africa. In 2013, she was named one of the 400 richest people in the United States. She is the only African-American among this group. She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama in 2013 and an honorary doctorate degree from Harvard.
References[change | change source]
- "Oprah Winfrey Interview". Academy of Achievement. January 21, 1991. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- "Oprah Winfrey". IMDb. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "#184 Oprah Winfrey". Forbes. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "Oprah Winfrey in Melbourne for Australian tour 2015 spreads a message of love, reveals lost child". News.com.au. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "The World's Most Powerful Celebrities List". Forbes. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "Oprah Winfrey". A+E Television Networks LLC. Retrieved 10/16/2013. Check date values in:
- "Oprah's Next Chapter - OWN TV". Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- Everything's Coming Up Oprah: How Winfrey Got Richer in 2013
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oprah Winfrey.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Oprah Winfrey|
- Official website
- Oprah Winfrey at Encyclopædia Britannica
- Oprah Winfrey on IMDb
- NPR "Oprah: The Billionaire Everywoman". Audio file, video and biography. Accessed September 17, 2010
- Works by Oprah Winfrey at Open Library
- Oprah Winfrey Video produced by Makers: Women Who Make America
- Winfrey Appearances on C-SPAN