Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Centuries:||15th century – 16th century – 17th century|
|Decades:||1480s 1490s 1500s – 1510s – 1520s 1530s 1540s|
|Years:||1514 1515 1516 – 1517 – 1518 1519 1520|
Events[change | change source]
- January 22 – Battle of Ridanieh. The Turkish forces of Selim I defeat the main Mamluk army in Egypt under Touman Bey.
- February 3 – Capture of Cairo by the Turks.
- First contact of organized western merchants with China.
- August 15 – Portuguese merchant Fernao Pires de Andrade met Chinese officials through an interpreter at Pearl River estuary and landed at Hong Kong.
- October 31 – Protestant Reformation: Martin Luther posts his 95 Theses on the door of the Wittenberg Castle Church.
- Conquest of Riazan by Grand Prince Vasili III of Muscovy.
- Selim I, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire conquers Palestine and Egypt, and declares himself Caliph.
- Third outbreak of the sweating sickness in England, especially bad in Oxford and Cambridge
Births[change | change source]
- Jacques Peletier du Mans, French mathematician (died 1582)
- Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey, English aristocrat (died 1547)