Also, there are other groups that did not immigrate to the United States but became American because of American expansion in the late 19th century. In addition to the United States, Americans and people of American descent can be found around the world. Three to seven million Americans are estimated to be living outside the United States.
Most Americans are of European descent. The number of Latin Americans and Asians is more than ever. About 13% of Americans are of African descent. People from many cultures, religions, and ethnic groups live in the U.S. This is why the United States is called the "Melting Pot".
The United States is a diverse country. Six races are officially recognized by the U.S. Census Bureau for statistical purposes: White, Black or African American, American Indian and Alaska Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian, and other Pacific Islander.
The current population of Americans in the U.S. is over 320 million people as of 2015.
References[change | change source]
- United States Census Bureau (December 21, 2010). "U.S. Census Bureau Announces 2010 Census Population Counts – Apportionment Counts Delivered to President". Press release. Archived from the original on December 24, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20101224044247/http://2010.census.gov/news/releases/operations/cb10-cn93.html. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- "U.S. and World Population Clock". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- "People live in Mexico, INEGI, 2010".
- Smith, Dr. Claire M. (August 2010). "These are our Numbers: Civilian Americans Overseas and Voter Turnout" (PDF). OVF Research Newsletter. Overseas Vote Foundation. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 24, 2013. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
Previous research indicates that the number of U.S. Americans living in Mexico is around 1 million, with 600,000 of those living in Mexico City.
- "Ethnic origins, 2006 counts, for Canada, provinces and territories - 20% sample data". Statistics Canada. Government of Canada. June 10, 2010. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
Ethnic origins Americans Total responses 316,350
- Barrie McKenna (June 27, 2012). "Tax amnesty offered to Americans in Canada". The Globe and Mail. Ottawa. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
There are roughly a million Americans in Canada – many with little or no ties to the United States.
- Evan S. Medeiros; Keith Crane; Eric Heginbotham; Norman D. Levin; Julia F. Lowell (November 7, 2008). Pacific Currents: The Responses of U.S. Allies and Security Partners in East Asia to Chinaâ€TMs Rise. Rand Corporation. p. 115. ISBN 978-0-8330-4708-3.
An estimated 4 million Filipino-Americans, most of whom are U.S. citizens or dual citizens, live in the United States, and over 250,000 U.S. citizens live in the Philippines.
"New U.S. ambassador to PH aims to 'strengthen' ties". CNN Philippines. Metro Manila. December 2, 2016. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
According to his figures, there are about 4 million Filipino-Americans residing in the U.S., and 250,000 Americans living and working in the Philippines.
Lozada, Aaron (December 2, 2016). "New U.S. envoy: Relationship with PH 'most important'". ABS-CBN News. Manila. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
According to Kim, the special relations between the U.S. and the Philippines is evident in the "four million Filipino-Americans who are residing in the United States and 250,000 Americans living and working in the Philippines."
International Business Publications, USA (August 1, 2013). Philippines Business Law Handbook: Strategic Information and Laws. Int'l Business Publications. p. 29. ISBN 978-1-4387-7078-9.
An estimated 600,000 Americans visit the Philippines each year, while an estimated 300,000 reside in-country.
Kapoor, Kanupriya; Dela Cruz, Enrico (17 October 2016). "Americans in Philippines jittery as Duterte rails against United States". Reuters. Olongapo. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
About four million people of Philippine ancestry live in the United States, one of its largest minorities, and about 220,000 Americans, many of them military veterans, live in the Philippines. An additional 650,000 visit each year, according to U.S. State Department figures.
"FACT SHEET: United States-Philippines Bilateral Relations". U.S. Embassy in the Philippines. United States Department of State. 28 April 2014. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
Around 350,000 Americans reside in the Philippines, and approximately 600,000 U.S. citizens visit the country each year.
- Cooper, Matthew (November 15, 2013). "Why the Philippines Is America's Forgotten Colony". National Journal. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
c. At the same time, person-to-person contacts are widespread: Some 600,000 Americans live in the Philippines and there are 3 million Filipino-Americans, many of whom are devoting themselves to typhoon relief.
- "BiB - Bundesinstitut für Bevölkerungsforschung - Pressemitteilungen - Zuwanderung aus außereuropäischen Ländern fast verdoppelt". www.bib-demografie.de. Archived from the original on 2017-12-09. Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- Daphna Berman (January 23, 2008). "Need an appointment at the U.S. Embassy? Get on line!". Haaretz. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
According to estimates, some 200,000 American citizens live in Israel and the Palestinian territories.
- Michele Chabin (March 19, 2012). "In vitro babies denied U.S. citizenship". USA Today. Jerusalem. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
Most of the 200,000 U.S. citizens in Israel have dual citizenship, and fertility treatments are common because they are free.
- "Population by Country of Birth and Nationality Report, August 2012" (PDF). Office for National Statistics. August 30, 2012. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- Simon Rogers (May 26, 2011). "The UK's foreign-born population: see where people live and where they're from". The Guardian. Retrieved February 17, 2013.
County of birth and county of nationality. United States of America 197 143
- "U.S. Citizen Services". Embassy of the United States Seoul, Korea. United States Department of State. Archived from the original on November 30, 2012. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
This website is updated daily and should be your primary resource when applying for a passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, notarization, or any of the other services we offer to the estimated 120,000 U.S. citizens traveling, living, and working in Korea.
"North Korea propganda video depicts invasion of South Korea, US hostage taking". Advertiser. Agence France-Presse. March 22, 2013. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
According to official immigration figures, South Korea has an American population of more than 130,000 civilians and 28,000 troops.
- "Background Note: Costa Rica". Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs. United States Department of State. April 9, 2012. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
Over 130,000 private American citizens, including many retirees, reside in the country and more than 700,000 American citizens visit Costa Rica annually.
- "Americans in France". Embassy of the United States, Paris. United States Department of State. Archived from the original on April 18, 2015. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
Today, although no official figure is available it is estimated that over 100,000 American citizens reside in France, making France one of the top 10 destinations for American expatriates.
- "Major Figures on Residents from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan and Foreigners Covered by 2010 Population Census". National Bureau of Statistics of China. April 29, 2011. Archived from the original on May 14, 2011. Retrieved April 29, 2011.
- "Immigrant and Emigrant Populations by Country of Origin and Destination". Migration Policy Institute. 2015. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
Migrants from the United States in Brazil Number of migrants: 28,000[permanent dead link]
- "Brazil (11/30/11)". Previous Editions of Brazil Background Note. United States Department of State. November 30, 2012. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
The consular section of the embassy, the consulates, and the consular agents provide vital services to the estimated 70,000 U.S. citizens residing in Brazil.
- "Colombia (03/28/13)". United States Department of State. Archived from the original on April 20, 2013. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
Based on Colombian statistics, an estimated 60,000 U.S. citizens reside in Colombia and 280,000 U.S. citizens travel, study and do business in Colombia each year.
- "Hong Kong (10/11/11)". Previous Editions of Hong Kong Background Note. United States Department of State. October 11, 2011. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
There are some 1,400 U.S. firms, including 817 regional operations (288 regional headquarters and 529 regional offices), and over 60,000 American residents in Hong Kong.
- Barry Bearak; Seth Mydans (June 8, 2002). "Many Americans, Unfazed, Go On Doing Business in India". The New York Times. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
The number of Americans living in India is often estimated at 60,000.
- "ibid, Ancestry (full classification list) by Sex – Australia". Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- Gishkori, Zahid (July 30, 2015). "Karachi has witnessed 43% decrease in target killing: Nisar". The Express Tribune. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
As many as 116,308 Afghan nationals are living as immigrants in the country, higher than any other country,” Nisar told the House. Besides Afghans, 52,486 Americans, 79,447 British citizens and 17,320 Canadians are residing in the country, the interior minister added.
- "Table 10.1 Registered Foreigners by Nationality: 1950-2006" (PDF). Ministry of Justice, . Annual Report of Statistics on Legal Migrants. National Institute of Population and Social Security Research. 2008. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- Kelly Carter (May 17, 2005). "High cost of living crush Americans' dreams of Italian living". USA Today. Positano, Italy. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
Nearly 50,000 Americans lived in Italy at the end of 2003, according to Italy's immigration office.
- "UAE´s population – by nationality". BQ Magazine. April 12, 2015. Retrieved June 13, 2015.
- McKinley Jr.; James C. (January 17, 2010). "For 45,000 Americans in Haiti, the Quake Was 'a Nightmare That's Not Ending'". The New York Times. Retrieved February 27, 2015.
- "SAUDI-U.S. TRADE". Commerce Office. Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Washington D.C. Archived from the original on September 13, 2012. Retrieved February 14, 2012.
Furthermore, there are approximately 40,000 Americans living and working in the Kingdom.
- "Argentina (03/12/12)". Previous Editions of Argentina Background Note. United States Department of State. March 12, 2012. Retrieved December 24, 2012.
The Embassy's Consular Section monitors the welfare and whereabouts of some 37,000 U.S. citizen residents of Argentina and more than 500,000 U.S. tourists each year.
- "Statistics Norway – Persons with immigrant background by immigration category and country background. January 1, 2010". Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- "Bahamas, The (01/25/12)". Previous Editions of Panama Background Note. United States Department of State. January 25, 2012. Retrieved December 29, 2012.
The countries share ethnic and cultural ties, especially in education, and The Bahamas is home to approximately 30,000 American residents.
- Bertrand, Eva (December 20, 2012). "US citizens moving to Russia". Voice of Russia. Russia. Retrieved May 7, 2017.
There are about 6.32 million American citizens living abroad, of those about 30,000 chose Russia, according to the Association of Americans Resident Overseas.
- Kate King (July 18, 2006). "U.S. family: Get us out of Lebanon". CNN. Archived from the original on March 6, 2012. Retrieved February 14, 2012.
About 350 of the estimated 25,000 American citizens in Lebanon had been flown to Cyprus from the U.S. Embassy in Beirut by nightfall Tuesday, Maura Harty, the assistant secretary of state for consular affairs, told reporters.
- "Panama (03/09)". Previous Editions of Panama Background Note. United States Department of State. March 2009. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
About 25,000 American citizens reside in Panama, many retirees from the Panama Canal Commission and individuals who hold dual nationality.
- "Foreign population by sex, country of nationality and age (up to 85 and above)". Instituto Natcional de Estadistica (in Spanish). 1 January 2007. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
Both genders 22,082
- S. Vedoya; V. Rivera (4 April 2018). "Gobierno cifra en más de un millón el número de inmigrantes que están en Chile". Latercera (in Spanish). Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "El Salvador (01/10)". United States Department of State. Archived from the original on April 13, 2014. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
More than 19,000 American citizens live and work full-time in El Salvador
- "North Americans: Facts and figures". Te Ara: The Encyclopedia of New Zealand.
- "Honduras (11/23/09)". Previous Editions of Honduras Background Note. United States Department of State. November 23, 2009. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
U.S.-Honduran ties are further strengthened by numerous private sector contacts, with an average of between 80,000 and 110,000 U.S. citizens visiting Honduras annually and about 15,000 Americans residing there.
- "06-08 外僑居留人數 Foreign Residents". National Immigration Agency, MOI. Department of Statistics, Ministry of the Interior. 2011. Archived from the original on January 6, 2007. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
- "STATISTIK AUSTRIA - Bevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeit und Geburtsland". Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- "Sttistics". czso.cz.
- "Bermuda (12/09/11)". Previous Editions of Bermuda Background Note. United States Department of State. December 9, 2011. Retrieved December 29, 2012.
An estimated 8,000 registered U.S. citizens live in Bermuda, many of them employed in the international business community.
- Tatiana Morales (August 2, 2009). "Americans in Kuwait: When To Go?". CBS News. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
There are about 8,000 Americans who live in Kuwait.
- Luis Lug; Sandra Stencel; John Green; Gregory Smith; Dan Cox; Allison Pond; Tracy Miller; Elixabeth Podrebarac; Michelle Ralston (February 2008). "U.S. Religious Landscape Survey" (PDF). Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life. Pew Research Center. Retrieved February 12, 2012.
- United States Census
Other websites[change | change source]
- Media related to People of the United States at Wikimedia Commons