|Regions with significant populations|
|Southwest, West Coast, Upper Midwest. There are also emerging populations in the South and Northeast.|
|Spanish, American English, Spanglish, and a minority of Indigenous Mexican languages.|
|Predominantly Roman Catholic; minorities of Protestants, Indigenous beliefs, Unaffiliated|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Indigenous peoples of Mexico, Spaniards, Arabs, Mestizo, Hispanics|
Mexican Americans are Americans of Mexican ancestry. They account for 9% of the country's population: about 28.3 million Americans listed their ancestry as Mexican as of 2006. They form the largest Hispanic or Latino group in the United States and contain the largest group of White Hispanics. Mexican Americans trace their ancestry to the modern day country of Mexico or the Southwestern United States.
Most Mexican Americans live in the four states that border Mexico, California, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico. The areas in and around Los Angeles is home to over six million Mexican Americans. Many of these live in mainly Hispanic neighborhoods such as East Los Angeles. There are also a number of large Mexican American communities in other areas of the Western and Southwestern United States. Though Chicago is not in the Western or Southwestern United States, it has 1.4 million Mexican Americans, more Mexican Americans than any city except Los Angeles. The metro areas of Dallas, Houston, and Phoenix each have more than one million Mexicans. There are a growing number of Mexican Americans in the Midwest and South.
Most Mexican Americans are "mestizos", or of more than one ethnicity. Most of their heritage is the indigenous indios of Mexico, but it often contains other groups, such as Spanish, Italian, Irish and Native American tribes from the U.S. such as Apache.
See also[change | change source]
- American Mexican
- List of Mexican Americans
- Mexico–United States relations
- Hyphenated American
- Mexicans abroad
- Mexican cuisine
- Mexican people
- Tex-Mex cuisine
- Melting pot ( metaphor for cultural fusion)
- White Hispanic
- Olive skin
- Bronze race
- Cosmic race
- Brown race
- Mestizos in the United States
References[change | change source]
- US Census Bureau 2013 American Community Survey B03001 1-Year Estimates HISPANIC OR LATINO ORIGIN BY SPECIFIC ORIGIN retrieved September 27, 2014
- Tafoya, Sonya (2004-12-06). "Shades of Belonging" (PDF). Pew Hispanic Center. http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/35.pdf. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- "American Fact Finder". http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/IPTable?_bm=y&-context=ip&-reg=ACS_2005_EST_G00_S0201:401;ACS_2005_EST_G00_S0201PR:401;ACS_2005_EST_G00_S0201T:401;ACS_2005_EST_G00_S0201TPR:401&-qr_name=ACS_2005_EST_G00_S0201&-qr_name=ACS_2005_EST_G00_S0201PR&-qr_name=ACS_2005_EST_G00_S0201T&-qr_name=ACS_2005_EST_G00_S0201TPR&-ds_name=ACS_2005_EST_G00_&-TABLE_NAMEX=&-ci_type=A&-tree_id=305&-redoLog=false&-charIterations=047&-geo_id=01000US&-geo_id=31000US12420&-geo_id=31000US33100&-geo_id=31000US38060&-geo_id=31000US41700&-geo_id=31000US45300&-geo_id=33000US148&-geo_id=33000US176&-geo_id=33000US206&-geo_id=33000US288&-geo_id=33000US348&-geo_id=33000US408&-geo_id=33000US422&-geo_id=33000US428&-geo_id=33000US488&-geo_id=33000US500&-geo_id=33000US548&-search_results=33000US408&-format=&-_lang=en. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- "Mexico". http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/379167/Mexico#tab=active~checked%2Citems~checked&title=Mexico%20--%20Britannica%20Online20Encyclopedia. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- "LOS EXTRANJEROS EN MÉXICO, LA INMIGRACIÓN Y EL GOBIERNO: ¿TOLERANCIA O INTOLERANCIA RELIGIOSA?" (in Spanish). http://historiamexicana.colmex.mx/pdf/13/art_13_1938_16335.pdf. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
Bibliography/further reading[change | change source]
[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Mexican Americans|
- California Ethnic and Multicultural Archives – In the Chicano/Latino Collections - University of California Santa Barbara
- California Ethnic and Multicultural Archives – Digital Chicano Art - University of California Santa Barbara
- Calisphere > California Cultures > Hispanic Americans - University of California System
- ImaginArte – Interpreting and Re-imaging Chican@Art - University of California Santa Barbara
- Manifest Destinies: The Making of the Mexican American Race (book)
- Mexican-American.org – Network of the Mexican American Community
- Mexican Americans MSN Encarta (Archived 2009-11-01)
- Think Mexican – News, Culture, and Information on the Mexican Community