From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||19th century – 20th century – 21st century|
|Decades:||1890s 1900s 1910s – 1920s – 1930s 1940s 1950s|
|Years:||1924 1925 1926 – 1927 – 1928 1929 1930|
Events[change | edit source]
- The Hardy Boys mystery series for children is launched.
- January 1 – Cristero War erupts in Mexico when pro-Church rebels attack secular-minded government
- January 7 – First transatlantic telephone call – New York City to London
- January 9 – Military rebellion crushed in Lisbon
- January 14 – Paul Doumer elected president of France
- January 19 – Britain sends troops to China
- January 30 – Right-wing veterans and the Republican Schutzbund clash in Schattendorf, Burgenland, Austria. One man and a child are killed by gunshots. See July 15.
- February 12 – First British troops land in Shanghai
- February 14 – Earthquake in Yugoslavia – 700 dead
- February 19 – General strike in Shanghai in protest of the presence of the British troops
- February 23 – The Federal Radio Commission (later renamed the Federal Communications Commission) begins to regulate the use of radio frequencies.
- March 4 – A diamond rush in South Africa includes trained athletes that have been hired by major companies to stake claims
- March 6 – In Britain, a 1000 people a week die from influenza epidemic
- March 10 – Albania mobilizes in case of an attack of Yugoslavia
- March 11 – In New York City, the Roxy Theatre is opened by Samuel Roxy Rothafel.
- March 11 – First armoured car robbery, committed by the Flatheads gang.
Nobel prizes[change | edit source]
- Julius Wagner-Jauregg, Austrian doctor, won the 1927 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, (b. 1857) (d. 1940)
Births[change | edit source]
- April 10 – Marshall Warren Nirenberg, American biochemist, won the 1968 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, (d. 2010)
- April 16 – Pope Benedict XVI
- August 18 – Rosalynn Carter, First Lady of the United States
- September 16 – Peter Falk, American actor, (d. 2011)
- October 18 - George C. Scott, American actor, (d. 1999)
- November 7 – Hiroshi Yamauchi, Japanese businessman, 3rd president of Nintendo
- December 25 – Ram Narayan, Indian musician