|• Mayor||Hajibala Abutalybov|
|• Total||2,130 km2 (820 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−28 m (−91.9 ft)|
|• Density||969.44/km2 (2,510.8/sq mi)|
|Time zone||AZT (UTC+4)|
|• Summer (DST)||AZST (UTC+5)|
Baku (Azerbaijani: Bakı) is the capital and the largest city of Azerbaijan. It is on the southern shore of the Apsheron Peninsula. Modern Baku has three parts: the Old Town (İçəri Şəhər), the boomtown and the Soviet-built town. About 3 million people live in the metropolitan area. There are large numbers of refugees and internally displaced persons.
Baku is hosted the 57th Eurovision Song Contest in May 2012. They also bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics. The city's three main football clubs are Neftchi Baku, FC Baku and Inter Baku. Baku is one of world's leading chess centres.
Divisions[change | edit source]
References[change | edit source]
- "Administrative, density and territorial units and land size by economic regions of Azerbaijan Republic for January 1. 2007". Archived from the original on 2007-11-24. http://web.archive.org/web/20071124164655/http://www.azstat.org/statinfo/demoqraphic/en/010.shtml#s11. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- "Population by economic and administrative regions, urban settlements at the beginning of the 2009". http://www.azstat.org/statinfo/demoqraphic/en/2_2.shtml. Retrieved 2009-11-21.
- "Media". Olympic.org. http://www.olympic.org/media?articleid=138217. Retrieved 2011-09-15.
- "Baku's History". Bakupages.com. 2010-03-19. http://www.bakupages.com/pages/baku/baku_en.php. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- "Baku's History". Kishmish.az. http://www.kishmish.az/content/Baku_e.html. Retrieved 2010-04-17.