Old Dominion University
Old Dominion University (ODU) is a public university in Norfolk, Virginia. The university has about 24,125 students. It was founded in 1930. The current president of the university is John R. Broderick.
Center for Teacher Quality and Education Leadership [change]
In 2006, ODU started the Center to "“train teachers for success in urban school environments.” The Center connects communities with ODU's Program for Research and Evaluation in Public Schools (PREPS). PREPS helps schools comply with the No Child Left Behind Act. Both the Center and PREPS are parts of the Darden College of Education.
Phillip A. Hamilton was Vice Chairman of the Appropriations Committee of the Virginia House of Delegates. Hamilton and three other people wanted the part-time job of leading the center. ODU hired Hamilton. Hamilton then sponsored amendments to the Virginia budget that gave the Center $500,000. ODU paid Hamilton about $80,000 between 2007 and 2009. In 2009, the United States federal government began investigating Hamilton for bribery and extortion. Hamilton left ODU in August 2009. Later that year, Hamilton lost his reelection. In January 2011, Hamilton was indicted in federal court. Prosecutors used Hamilton's emails to show how his job was tied to the budget increase. On August 12, 2011, Hamilton was sentenced to 114-months in prison.
The athletics teams of the university are called the Monarchs (men) and Lady Monarchs. They have 18 varsity teams. most of which now compete in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA). After the 2012–13 school year, Old Dominion will join Conference USA (C-USA), which is already home to five of ODU's varsity teams. Because ODU is moving to a conference that does not sponsor wrestling, its team in that sport will move to the Mid-American Conference.
- Luzer, Daniel (May 11, 2011). "Quid Pro Quo at Old Dominion". Washington Monthly. http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/college_guide/blog/quid_pro_quo_at_old_dominion.php?page=all&print=true. Retrieved August 13, 2011.
- "Center for Teacher Quality and Education Leadership FY 2010 Final Audit Report". ODU Internal Audit Department. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEAQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fhamptonroadscom%2Fstore%2F941.pdf&rct=j&q=Old%20Dominion%20Center%20for%20Teacher%20Quality%20and%20Education%20Leadership&ei=54xGTq2-MY_egQeKuYGvBg&usg=AFQjCNEzTpqxSo4vQyLdXAZ_1OkQ8trdQg. Retrieved August 13, 2011.
- Mike DeBonis and Anita Kumar (August 13, 2011). "Ex-delegate sentenced to nearly 10 years". Washington Post: p. B1.
- "Former Delegate indicted for bribery". WAVY News. January 5, 2011. http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/former-delegate-indicted-for-bribery. Retrieved August 13, 2011.
- Tyler Whitley & Frank Green (May 11, 2011). "Jury finds Hamilton guilty of bribery, extortion". Richmond Times-Dispatch. http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/may/11/10/jury-begins-deliberations-hamilton-bribery-extorti-ar-1032001/. Retrieved August 13, 2011.
- Green, Frank (May 7, 2011). "Ex-ODU president denies ordering job for Hamilton". http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/may/07/tdmain01-ex-odu-president-denies-ordering-job-for--ar-1022750/. Retrieved August 13, 2011.
Other websites [change]