2006 Winter Olympics
The 2006 Winter Olympics, officially known as the XX Olympic Winter Games, were held in Turin, Italy from 10 to 26 February 2006. This was the second time Italy hosted the Olympic Winter Games. The first time was the 1956 Winter Olympics in Cortina d'Ampezzo. Italy also had the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome.
Medals won by each nation[change | change source]
Venues[change | change source]
Olympic areas[change | change source]
Olympic events were mainly held in Turin. Other events such as skiing and snowboarding had to be held in mountain areas.
Turin[change | change source]
Many venues were located in the Olympic District in central Turin, including:
- Oval Lingotto – Speed skating
- Torino Esposizioni – Ice hockey
- Palasport Olimpico – Ice hockey (final)
- Stadio Olimpico – Opening and closing ceremonies
- Palavela – Figure skating, short-track speed skating
- Olympic Village
Other locations[change | change source]
- Bardonecchia – Snowboarding
- Cesana Pariol – Bobsleigh, Luge, Skeleton
- Cesana San Sicario – Biathlon
- Pinerolo – Curling
- Pragelato – Nordic combined (ski jumping), Ski jumping
- Pragelato Plan – Cross-country skiing, Nordic combined (cross-country skiing)
- San Sicario Fraiteve – Alpine skiing (women's combined (downhill), downhill, and super-g)
- Sauze d'Oulx – Freestyle skiing
- Sestriere Borgata – Alpine skiing (men's combined (downhill), downhill, super-g)
- Sestriere Colle – Alpine skiing (combined (slalom), giant slalom, slalom)
Olympic villages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Torino 2006: Flame in the Tallest Cauldron". International Olympic Committee. February 11, 2006. Archived from the original on February 21, 2011. http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/torino/torch_relay/full_story_uk.asp?id=1670. Retrieved April 18, 2007.
- "Turin 2006—XXth Olympic Winter Games". International Olympic Committee. http://olympic.org/uk/games/past/index_uk.asp?OLGT=2&OLGY=2006. Retrieved April 18, 2007.
- "Italian Passion in the Motto of Torino 2006" (PDF). http://www.torino2006.org/ENG/OlympicGames/bin/page/C_3_page_eng_283_paragraphs_paragrafo_0_attachments_allegato_7_object.pdf. Retrieved April 18, 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: 2006 Winter Olympics|