40th G7 summit
After Russia's involvement in the 2014 Crimean crisis, some people wanted Russia to leave the G8. On March 24, United Kingdom Prime Minister David Cameron said that the meeting would not occur in Russia due to the Crimean crisis. The other seven countries decided to hold it without Russia.
Participants[change | change source]
|Core G7 members
Host state and leader are shown in bold text.
|Canada||Stephen Harper||Prime Minister|
|Italy||Matteo Renzi||Prime Minister|
|Japan||Shinzō Abe||Prime Minister|
|United Kingdom||David Cameron||Prime Minister|
|United States||Barack Obama||President|
|European Union||José Manuel Barroso||Commission President|
|Herman Van Rompuy||Council President|
Invited leaders[change | change source]
A number of national leaders are traditionally invited to attend the summit.
Results[change | change source]
On June 4, 2014 on G7 meeting in Brussels leaders of the G7 nations in their joint statement condemned Moscow for its «continuing violation» of Ukraine's sovereignty and say they are prepared to impose further sanctions on Russia over its actions in Ukraine.
The G7 summit on June 4–5, 2014 is the first since Russia was expelled from the group following its annexation of Crimea in March.
Protesters and demonstrations[change | change source]
Planning for the summit has to anticipate protest groups and other activists.
Business opportunity[change | change source]
For some, the G8 summit will be a profit-generating event; as for example, the G8 Summit magazines which have been published since 1998.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "G-7 spares Russia new sanctions". https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-04/g-7-spares-russia-new-sanctions-urging-ukraine-diplomacy.html.
- "G7 leaders warn Russia of fresh sanctions over Ukraine". http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27707518.
- "Russia to hold 2014 G8 summit in Sochi: Putin" at PressTV.ir, 19 June 2013; retrieved 2013-6-19.
- "Lawmakers call for suspension of Russia from G8, swift action against Putin". http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/03/02/lawmakers-call-for-suspension-of-russia-from-g8-swift-action-against-putin/.
- "Russia G8 status at risk over 'incredible act of aggression' in Crimea, says Kerry". http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/02/john-kerry-russia-putin-crimea-ukraine.
- "G8 summit 'won't be held in Russia'", BBC News, 24 March 2014; retrieved 2014-3-24.
- Leaders plan Brussels G7 in June instead of G8 in Sochi Irish Independent, 2014-03-24.
- Rieffel, Lex. "Regional Voices in Global Governance: Looking to 2010 (Part IV)," Brookings. March 27, 2009; retrieved 2012-5-20.
- "G7 leaders warn Russia of fresh sanctions over Ukraine". 2014-06-05. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27707518.
- Balde, Lisa and Phil Rogers. "Adbusters Wants 50,000 G8/NATO Protesters in Chicago," NBCChicago (US), 27 January 2012; retrieved 2012-5-20.
- Prestige Media: 2012 G8 Summit Publication Distribution; retrieved 2012-5-20.
Other websites[change | change source]
39th G8 summit
|40th G8 summit
41st G8 summit