|An editor thinks that this article may not be neutral. (December 2015)|
Astrology is the study of how the positions of the stars and movements of the planets have a supposed influence on events and on the lives and behavior of people.
An astrologer looks at the planets' positions and tries to understand a person's character or tries to predict the future. Modern astrologers see astrology as a symbolic language. It is also seen as an art, or a kind of divination. Astrologers often say that the position of the stars help them know the future, but they can not really do it.
Astrology and astronomy started out as the same thing, but today they are very different.
Newspapers will often print horoscopes trying to guess persons future based on their birth sign.
Astrological signs[change | change source]
A person's astrological sign (usually referring to Sun sign) is based on their birthday. A list of astrological signs is below.
|Aries||The Ram||March 21 to April 20|
|Taurus||The Bull||April 21 to May 21|
|Gemini||The Twins||May 22 to June 21|
|Cancer||The Crab||June 22 to July 22|
|Leo||The Lion||July 23 to August 22|
|Virgo||The Virgin||August 23 to September 23|
|Libra||The Scales||September 24 to October 22|
|Scorpio||The Scorpion||October 23 to November 22|
|Sagittarius||The Archer/Centaur||November 23 to December 22|
|Capricorn||The Sea-goat||December 23 to January 20|
|Aquarius||The Water Carrier||January 21 to February 19|
|Pisces||The Two Fish||February 20 to March 20|
References[change | change source]
- Reinhold Ebertin (1994). Combination of Stellar Influences. Tempe, Ariz.: American Federation of Astrologers. ISBN 978-0866900874.
- Alan Oken. Alan Oken's As Above So Below. ISBN 978-0553027761.
- "Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary". Meriam-Webster. http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/astrology. Retrieved 2006-07-19.
- ""astrology" Encyclopædia Britannica". Britannica Concise Encyclopedia. 2006. http://concise.britannica.com/ebc/article-9356010/astrology. Retrieved 2006-07-17.
- The cosmic perspective (4th ed. ed.). San Francisco, Calif.: Pearson/Addison-Wesley. 2007. pp. 82–84. ISBN 0805392831.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Astrology|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Astrology|
|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: Astrology.|
- Astrology & Science: The Scientific Exploration of Astrology
- Merrifield, Michael. "Right Ascension & Declination". Sixty Symbols. Brady Haran for the University of Nottingham. http://www.sixtysymbols.com/videos/declination.htm. – which also discusses ascension and declination errors in different systems of astrology