List of rivers of Switzerland
||This article may have too many red links. (April 2012)|
The following is a list of rivers in Switzerland.
The longest Swiss rivers[change | change source]
(> 100 km, only the length in Switzerland):
- Rhine - 375 km - 36'494 km2
- Aar - 295 km - 17'779 km2
- Rhône - 264 km - 10'403 km2
- Reuss - 158 km - 3'425 km2
- Linth / Limmat - 140 km - 2'416 km2
- Saane/Sarine - 128 km - 1'892 km2
- Thur 125 km - 1'724 km2
- Inn - 104 km - 2'150 km2
Rivers and their tributaries[change | change source]
Switzerland is drained into four directions:
- North Sea, by the Rhine.
- Mediterranean Sea, by the Rhône River.
- Adriatic Sea, by the Po River and the Adige.
- Black Sea, by the Danube.
Some rivers (like the Danube) do not flow through Switzerland themselves. They are list for having Swiss tributaries. They are given in italics.
- Rhine - 375 km - 36,494 km2 (main branch in Hoek van Holland, Netherlands)
- Wiese - km - km2 (in Basel)
- Birsig 21 km - 82 km2 (in Basel)
- Birs - 73 km - 924 km2 (in Basel)
- Aar - 295 km - 17'779 km2 (in Koblenz)
- Linth / Limmat - 140 km - 2'416 km2 (in Brugg)
- Reuss - 158 km - 3,425 km2 (in Brugg)
- Emme - 80 km - 983 km2 (in Solothurn)
- Orbe / Thielle - 57 km - 488 km2 (into Lake Biel in La Neuveville)
- Saane/Sarine - 128 km - 1'892 km2 (near Bern)
- Kander - 44 km - 1'126 km2 (into Lake Thun near Thun)
- Lütschine - km - (into Lake Brienz near Interlaken)
- Töss - 58 km - 442 km2 (in Teufen)
- Thur - 125 km - 1724 km2 (near Flaach)
- Landquart - 43 km - 618 km2 (in Landquart)
- Vorderrhein - 67,5 km - 1'514 km2 (at Reichenau, near Chur)
- Hinterrhein - 57,3 km - 1'693 km2 (at Reichenau)
- Rhône - 264 km - 10'403 km2 (in Port-Saint-Louis-du-Rhône, France)
- Po (near Venice, Italy)
- Adda - km - km2 (in Cremona, Italy)
- Ticino - 91 km - 1'616 km2 (in Pavia, Italy)
List by letter[change | change source]
Aar, Albula, Allaine, Arve, Birs, Birsig, Breggia, Broye, Diveria, Doubs, Drance, Emme, Hinterrhein, Inn, Julia, Kander, Kleine Emme, Landquart, Limmat, Linth, Lonza, Lütschine, Maggia, Mera, Orbe, Poschiavino, Reuss, Rhine, Rhône, Rom, Saane/Sarine, Sihl, Simme, Thielle, Thur, Ticino, Töss, Tresa, Venoge, Vispa, Vorderrhein, Wiese.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Rivers of Switzerland|