Sesame Street is an American children's television series with human actors and puppets that are called Muppets. The show deals with issues such as music, song, alphabet, numbers, and teaching children basics in learning. Part of the profits, go to an international project for children's schools.
The show has been on TV since November 10, 1969. Jim Henson made the Muppets, and a lot of writers and puppeteers worked together to make the show. The Muppets were used afterwards in a different show called The Muppet Show. Sesame Street has been on TV in 120 countries all over the world. More than 4000 episodes have been made over 40 seasons.
For most of its history, Sesame Street had been shown on the PBS channel. In 2015, new episodes started airing on the HBO channel in January 2016, but those episodes would be shown on PBS nine months later. After five seasons on HBO, the show returns to PBS as its first-run program, for the further, newer episodes. In 2019, Sesame Street would move to HBO Max.
The Muppets[change | change source]
- Kermit the Frog is one of the first Muppets designed and built by Jim Henson. Borgenicht calls Kermit "funny, ironic, and always the voice of reason amidst the insanity around him; the calm in the eye of the storm".He was a star on Sesame Street until 2001.
- Grover is a blue furred monster.
- Big Bird is a very tall yellow bird. His best friend is Snuffleupagus who looks like a mammoth with no tusks.
- Oscar the Grouch lives in a garbage can with his pet worm Slimey and his pet elephant Fluffy. He is always in a bad mood and he loves everything that other people hate: mud, dirt, etc.
- Bert and Ernie are two roommates. Ernie is more active and always ready to play a game or make a mess. Bert is an often boring grouch who likes to read; he likes things to be clean, neat and loves pigeons.
- Cookie Monster is blue and eats large amounts of cookies.
- Elmo is a red furred monster and lives with his goldfish named Dorothy. Elmo's World has a eleven year run.
There are three new muppets for Sesame Street. One is a girl fairy named Abby Cadabby, first appeared in 2006. Another is Murray, and his lamb named Ovajita, first appeared in 2008. Not only Muppets play in the show but also human actors who live with the Muppets.
Notes[change | change source]
- In the seasons 30-33 (1998-2002) ending credits, in the seasons 27 (1995-1996)-33 (2002) purple television static background, the Sesame Workshop text logo got white and without a house of boredom in seasons 31 (2000)-33 (2002), because the Children's Television Workshop text logo got white and without a semicircle in seasons 30 (1998-1999)-31 (2000).
- In the 1999 VHS version of the movie "The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland", it was a car variant in the 1997-2000 CTW logo.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "HBO Picks Up 'Sesame Street' As Kids' Viewing Habits Change". www.msn.com.
- Finch, Christopher 1993. Jim Henson: the works: the art, the magic, the imagination. New York: Random House, p37. ISBN 0-679-41203-4
- Borgenicht, David 1998. Sesame Street unpaved. New York: Hyperion Publishing, p89. ISBN 0-7868-6460-5
- Cookie Monster | 1-28-2103 |http://www.sesamestreet.org/muppets/cookie-monster