User talk:Osiris/February 2012
|This is an archive of past discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the current talk page.|
- 1 Copyvio on Dheeran Chinnamalai
- 2 Paper cup
- 3 New articles
- 4 Nice one!
- 5 Status
- 6 Patroller & Rollback
- 7 Question about adding dates
- 8 Ballparks
- 9 Hanna is a Singaporean show?
- 10 Your opinion?
- 11 Yep I deleted unnecessary info
- 12 some further explanation....
- 13 Just pointing out
- 14 Vandalism in Progress
- 15 Not getting to your messages
- 16 Flood Flag
Copyvio on Dheeran Chinnamalai
Hey Osiris, in regards to this edit, please see, for instance, these contributions on the regular Wiki. We're dealing with an IP-hopper that's been doing stuff like this for a long, long time, evidently. Maybe this is something that an administrator on your end might want to look out for. All the best, Drmies (talk) 15:35, 31 January 2012 (UTC)
- Okay, thanks, I'll bring it up on AN and keep an eye on the page. Thanks for the note, Osiris (talk) 15:45, 31 January 2012 (UTC)
- Ha. Well really, how does that idea even get into someone's head?: "Oh, I must write an article about paper cups. It's the only thing missing from here!" Shouldn't laugh though, the en wiki version is quite extensive. Osiris (talk) 12:12, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
Yes. I said that I would stop creating new articles. At the time, I had finished three articles in my user space -- Washington Metro, which is still waiting Peterdownunder's review; Flash point, which is a link in the Chembox template, and Phenol, which is on the current "Most Wanted" list. I am re-examining the articles selected by Auntof6. I was really planning to do non-Wikipedia work today, but I have been working on this full time for the past seven hours, since Auntof6 started the QD process. Thanks, Racepacket (talk) 04:25, 5 February 2012 (UTC)
- But if you look at the full diff, you can see how different the English and Simple English versions are. I honestly can not see what I have missed in translating Flash point. I've watched other editors and thought that I was doing the same things. Thanks, Racepacket (talk) 05:10, 5 February 2012 (UTC)
A while ago I struggled to find something that would look good for an Asia stub. Hard in such a small size. I like the blue color. Very politically/culturally neutral. Thanks so much! Gotanda (talk) 06:26, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
- Haha- I thought it just looked like a blob, but if you think it's good then I'm happy. Osiris (talk) 07:08, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
Thank you for your talk page message. I have been told the exact opposite of your advice. Months ago, a large group of parties agreed that Wikiproject:Good Article would conduct an RFC on the question of whether individual Wikiprojects could alter the En-wiki-wide Good Article criteria. I was the primary spokesman for wiki-wide consistent criteria. The RFC was delayed until months after my block started. The moderator emailed me and asked me to post my views on my talk page so that she could include them in the discussion. The ArbCom said that this would be improper. I have contacted them to see if I can respond to Bigee. Thanks, Racepacket (talk) 06:44, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
- Hmmm. I'm not seeing how that would be improper, but hopefully you'll get to defend yourself somehow. Osiris (talk) 07:11, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
Patroller & Rollback
Hello Osiris, welcome to our project. Since I have seen you do generally useful edits, I have flagged you as "patroller"; no need to patrol your edits. As you also seem to fight vanals now and then, I have flagged your account with rollback, which might be useful too. --Eptalon (talk) 11:24, 7 February 2012 (UTC)
Question about adding dates
I know you are really careful about adding dates to maintenance tags. I'll confess I didn't even know about it at first, then didn't understand the importance. I will try to remember in the future! But, now a question. Can I add dates to "stub" tags? It doesn't seem to hurt the display of the article, but is there any point? That is, can a group of stubs be sorted/identified by age of the stub tag? That way we could identify really stale stubs that have ben left for ages and ages. It would help with keeping accountable for stub creation etc. Like this.
- The parameter
|date=doesn't have any function in the template's coding. So, like you say, it won't have any visual impact on the article, but that also means it won't have any actual function—so won't put that article in any different category to what it would have been in before. So it probably won't help you in the way you want it to. Osiris (talk) 08:45, 8 February 2012 (UTC)
Hanna is a Singaporean show?
- Given that it seems to be about a white American girl, I very much doubt that it is. In any case, rumours are not reliable sources. Please see Wikipedia:Citing sources and include a reliable reference for each change you make. Osiris (talk) 15:27, 11 February 2012 (UTC)
Yep I deleted unnecessary info
yeah im celaning up some bad posts i made here. i also replied on my talk page. English Wikipedia wasnt "all" bad. im also into Slavic people and i made lots of good edits on EnWP and they werent deleted. it was just the Malay stuff where all the real trouble was.PacificWarrior101 (talk) 03:36, 18 February 2012 (UTC)PacificWarrior101
some further explanation....
well, i simply love this place Simple Wikipedia. i'll be as more civil than I was in English Wikipedia i was really bitchy over there.
dont worry..no emotional statements here.
now, PRIOR to the disputes i had with the editors over at English Wlkipedia, the EnWP article on ethnic Malays DID list the Philippines on there. I believe their original article went something like, "Ethnic Malays (Malay/Jawi translation) are an ethnic group that lives in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Brunei and Philippines."
but the Philippines wasnt listed on their Significant Populations boxes, it was barely even mentioned in the article, although i dont know why they had listed at at the beginning of their article. now when my World Geography Book had said that 95% of Filipinos are ethnic Malays, it even specifically said, ethnic, not just Malays, that is when I added the Philippines into their Significant Populations boxes, although it kept getting deleted. after several times of edit conflicts the creator of the article, simply deleted every mention of the Philippines on the article, even it was HIM who had put it there on the first place. he was an Indonesian dude, i dont even know his username some Malay username, i forgot i havent been on EnWP in the first place.
i was never trying to bring a dispute here. and I am trying to limit how many edits i make, because yes it does cause problems. because too much posts sourced or unsourced would simply destroy the purpose for calling it Simple Wikipedia it simply turn it into another EnWP. for Ethnic groups are my favorite topics.
- It being or not being in the enwp version of the article was not my reason for objecting. It's just incorrect information. Malay and Filipino are very distinct from one another, in fact they're really families than singular ethnicities. Osiris (talk) 19:01, 19 February 2012 (UTC)
Just pointing out
- I assumed it would. Thanks for helping. I might post a thread on ST in case there are any further issues (like newly required parameters missing or something)... Osiris (talk) 07:34, 22 February 2012 (UTC)
Vandalism in Progress
- Reverted the vandalism. It was about half-an-hour ago, so I wouldn't worry too much about them coming back. Osiris (talk) 12:28, 23 February 2012 (UTC)
Not getting to your messages
Hello Osiris. My apologies for not getting to your messages in time; I only have time in the morning to check the QDs and AIV, so I have been leaving straight away. Just thought I'd let you know I'm not blanking you, I just leave before I get your message. Kind regards, -Orashmatash (talk) 02:05, 25 February 2012 (UTC)
- Haha, no, I know. I actually tried to leave messages for Peter, Chen and Barras too, and missed them also. It wasn't a big deal though, just about me possibly flooding. Osiris (talk) 02:12, 25 February 2012 (UTC)
Hi! I was just wondering, aren't you using the flood flag, because the hundreds of quick AWB edits seem to take up most of Recent Changes when it's night time (UTC). It means I can't see everything that happened during the night, unless I set the Recent Changes to more than 500. Can something be done about this? Thanks! Yottie =talk= 09:24, 26 February 2012 (UTC)
- Ha. Yeah, I would use it if I could find an admin that sticks around for more than 5 minutes at that time of day. Every time one pops in I put a request on their talk page, but miss them by a few minutes evidently. I guess most of our admins are sleeping at that time. Osiris (talk) 12:14, 26 February 2012 (UTC)