Jump to navigation Jump to search
|• Total||40.8 sq mi (105.6 km2)|
|• Land||40.7 sq mi (105.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||509 ft (155 m)|
|• Density||727.3/sq mi (281/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0113977|
Bessemer is a city in southwestern Jefferson County, Alabama, United States and a suburb of Birmingham near Hueytown. The population was 29,672 at the 2000, but by the 2005 U.S. Census estimates, the city had fallen to a population of 28,641.
Notable residents[change | change source]
- Neil Bonnett, NASCAR driver
- Alex Bradford, composer, singer, arranger, and choir director
- Mildred Brown, journalist
- Earl Cochran Jr., NFL player
- Thornton Dial, African-American folk artist
- Virginia Hill, actress, mob courier and girlfriend of Bugsy Siegel
- Frank House, born in Bessemer, major league baseball player
- Bo Jackson, NFL football and MLB baseball player
- Kerry Rhodes, NFL player
- Diana Ross, singer
- Demeco Ryans, NFL player
- Glenn Shadix, American actor
- Sun Ra, Avant-garde jazz musician and metaphysical progressive
- Tim Ward, philanthropist
- Corey White, NFL player
- Jack Whitten, abstract painter
- Andre Williams, singer and producer
References[change | change source]
- "Annual Estimates of the Population for Incorporated Places in Alabama". United States Census Bureau. 2008-07-10. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- "Annual Estimates of the Population for All Incorporated Places in Alabama" (CSV). 2005 Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division. 2006-05-21. Retrieved November 9, 2006.
- Reichler, Joseph L., ed. (1979) . The Baseball Encyclopedia (4th ed.). New York: Macmillan Publishing. ISBN 0-02-578970-8.