|• Mayor||Arnold Leak|
|• Total||9.7 sq mi (25.2 km2)|
|• Land||9.7 sq mi (25.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||568 ft (173 m)|
|• Density||948.2/sq mi (365/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0136100|
Geography[change | change source]
Valley is located in the southeastern Chambers County at 32°48'40.993" North, 85°10'40.577" West (32.811387, -85.177938). According to the U.S. Census Bureau, it has a total area of 11.0 square miles (28.6 km2), all land.
It is located on the Alabama-Georgia state line.
Valley has a larger Micropolitan Statistical Area known as the "Greater Valley Area" consisting of the three largest cities of Chambers County: Valley, Lanett, and LaFayette. It also includes the city of West Point, Georgia.
Climate[change | change source]
It's climate usually has hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Valley has a humid subtropical climate. It is often abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps. 
Demographics[change | change source]
Population[change | change source]
As of the census of 2010, there were 9,524 people, 3,878 households, and 2,561 families living in the city. Its population density was 864 people per square mile (333.4/km2). There were 5,025 housing units at an average density of 457 per square mile (176/km2).
Average income[change | change source]
The median income for a household in the city was $31,501, and the median income for a family was $40,013. Males had a median income of $36,345 versus $29,905 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,928. About 18.2% of families and 20.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.4% of those under age 18 and 12.9% of those age 65 or over.
Media[change | change source]
Valley is served by the Columbus, Georgia Television Designated Market Area (DMA).
Notable people[change | change source]
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- Jennifer Chandler, won a gold medal in diving at the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal
- Josh Evans, former NFL player
- Lemanski Hall, former NFL player
- John Copeland, former NFL player
- Bill McGhee, former player for the Philadelphia Athletics
- Marcus Pollard, former NFL player
- Mike Potts, former pitcher for the Milwaukee Brewers
- K. Lee Scott, Christian composer
- Jylan Ware, NFL player
- Drew Ferguson, member of the United States House of Representatives from Georgia's 3rd congressional district
- Matt Foster, pitcher for the Chicago White Sox
References[change | change source]
- "U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: Valley city, Alabama". www.census.gov. Retrieved 2020-08-08.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Valley city, Alabama". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- "Valley, Alabama Köppen Climate Classification (Weatherbase)". Weatherbase. Retrieved 2020-08-08.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-07-10.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved June 6, 2013.