Macbeth of Scotland
This article does not have any sources. (May 2017)
This article needs to be wikified. (May 2017)
Macbeth (Mac Bethad mac Findlaích in Gaelic) was King of Scotland from 1040-1057. William Shakespeare wrote a famous play about him called Macbeth. In the play, Macbeth is an evil king who murders his cousin so he can become king. In real life, Macbeth was more peaceful than this, though he did kill King Duncan I of Scotland.
|Macbeth or MacBeth|
|King of Scots|
|Reign||August 17th 1040 - August 17th 1057|
|Predecessor||Duncan I, king of Scots|
|Successor||Lulach, king of Scots|
|Died||August 15th or 17th 1057|
|Issue||Ferchar Og, prince of Scots (possibly)|
|Mother||Donalda, daughter of Malcolm II|
Birth[change | change source]
Macbeth was probably born around 1005 in Morayshire, Scotland. His name in Gaelic was "Mac Bethad mac Findlaích" (in modern Gaelic, it is MacBheatha mac Fhionnlaigh). His father was Findláech mac Ruaidrí, Mormaer of Moray. When Macbeth was born, he became Mormaer of Moray. Macbeth's mother, Donada, may have been Malcolm II's second daughter.
Marriage[change | change source]
Children[change | change source]
King of Scots[change | change source]
On August 17th, 1040, Macbeth murdered King Duncan I in battle and was crowned King of Scotland. His reign continued until August 15th or 17th, when he was murdered in another battle. His stepson Lulach became king in Macbeth's place.
In 1058, Lulach was murdered in battle by his cousin Malcolm III, who then became king.
Burial[change | change source]
Macbeth's burial most likely took place soon after his death. He was buried in Iona, Scotland. This is a place where many kings have been buried, starting with the mythical first King of Scots, Kenneth MacAlpin.
References[change | change source]
- "Macbeth (c. 1005 – 1057)". History: Historic Figures. BBC.
- Shakespeare, William (July 1, 2003). Macbeth. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 0743477103.
- Johnson, Ben. "Duncan and MacBeth". Historic UK 2017. Unknown parameter
- "Macbeth of Scotland". August 25, 2014. Unknown parameter
- "Gruoch (fl. 1020 – 1054)". Women in World History: A Biographical Encyclopedia. Gale Research, Inc. 2002. ISBN 978-0787637361.
- "The House of Moray: Lulach 'The Simple,' 1057–1058". 2004. Unknown parameter